1967 Mercury Cougar - Valley Springs, CA

This is a 1967 Mercury Cougar, it has some rust, and doesn’t run. However it would make a great project car. Asking $2,500. Serious inquires only, Please call Nick at 209-210-7650

Your location would help. With all due respect your Cougar has a LOT of rust and looks like a low option car. So I think you are way off on your $2500 price. Maybe closer to $250-500. You have a good photo selection but it might help with your sale if you include some under car shots as well. Good luck with your sale.
Steven

Thanks for the advice, I got that figure from a gentleman who owns the largest parts dismantler for Cougar’s on the West Coast out of Oregon.

Don has a built in parts price calculator that would price out the fenders, hood trunk lid and California smog parts, so he is right… about what the car is worth in parts. When you start looking at what it would cost to rebuild and a project car, things start to go the other direction value wise.

I can tell you what I see… This car is begging to become a convertible! The bottom half looks pretty straight, the top is almost already gone. It’s a low option standard so no one should get upset if you cut it up.

I have had this strange bug that is making me want to build a real minimalist Cougar Roadster: cut the roof off and remove all the glass, and window regulators. Get rid of the back seat interior rear quarter panels, and the door panels, even the kick panels. Pull the carpets and all of the padding. Put in a roll cage to reinforce the chassis, with two short loops behind the seats. Put the lightest racing seats you could find in it. Run manual brakes and steering. Put a 351W and a five speed in it with a 3.90 rear. Powder coat the grill and tail lights black. Make the head light door manual, trash the vacuum motors. Basically remove everything that doesn’t make the car stop, go, or corner.

Now all I need is a pile of cash and an extra year or two of time. LOL!

Yes, it all about time and funds. This Courgar belonged to my wife’s grandmother and my wife was thinking we should restore it but it would require to much time on my part and it would probably cost us a pretty dime to restore it fully to factory floor condition. I do like your idea though.

That was exactly my reaction, too! :beerchug:

In fact, what you described isn’t too far off of Rex Bickwell’s roadster. Ever thought of buying his?

A friend of mine in Canada did a similar restoration on his wife’s parents car - and you are correct, it required a pretty dime. You need to have a strong emotional attachment to the car to take on that kind of job

This would probably be a great subject for the big project I have in my head.

The only problem is my head is cashing checks my bank won’t honor.