1968 R Code GT-E

We did a digital scan of the fender extension from my GT-E. Here is a photo of my GT-E next to Joe V’s 428CJ GT-E with original paint. As you can see it is a perfect match.

Mixing station Ramsey MAR 31 2021.jpg

Wow! That’s awesome!

I saw your “wanted” posts for CJ parts a while back and was wondering what you were building :slight_smile:

Question: your smog tubes… Isn’t that a '69/'70 CJ smog tube on the driver’s side? I thought the '68 CJ tubes were slightly different at the front cylinder.

Correct. This is what was available. The earlier 1968 / early 1969 style was reproduced years ago but no one seems to have any these days.

I took the front splash shield rubber off and saved it to use as templates. The metal parts got bead blasted and painted black.

I made new pieces from gasket material. New staples were made from .042" stainless wire.

The transmission was professionally rebuilt. They tested the pan with alcohol and found it had pinholes in one corner (marked in a square).

I ordered a new pan and bolts. Today I installed it and torqued the bolts to 185 inch pounds.

I bought new 31 spline axles from Summit to go with the 31 spline 3.50 open rear end. The axle studs that came with the axles were SFI approved however they were too long to use with factory styled steel wheel lug nuts so I had to press all of them out and then buy normal length studs and press them in. The axles were a little long, so I had to take them to a local machine shop to be trimmed a tiny bit. Which meant they removed all the studs in order to chuck the axles in their lathe.

So I am really good at axle stud installation.

The new axles use a standard 28 spline style axle seal, the axle itself is polished and fits the seal. I put the seals in the newly powder coated housing with a seal installer and dead blow hammer…

The axles, springs and brakes all got restored too. Today the last of the rear end work was done. It’s ready to be installed.

Royce, is it your car or Joe V’s not using a radio antenna ?

Royce, how did you address the lower hinges rollers and S spring, thanks

Both have oem antennas in the typical location. Edit - Joe’s car has a special order rear power antenna - end edit.

I used hinges that had good ones. If those parts are bad you need to find better cores.

This is a good way to stay out of trouble. Very nice work Royce.

Looks like great steady progress :sunglasses: What’s the plan when finished? You say “we” I take it Mid America Cougar club members joint effort? What comp cam did you go with H270?
FYI, ditch the cork transmission oil pan gasket for this. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lub-llt-f0c6
You’ll thank me later it’s 100 % better then cork.

Yep Randy and Charlie helped a lot so far. It’s a Comp Cams 268H same cam I have used many times before. It’s got a smooth idle in a 428 but way better than the stock grind.

Beautiful job by Royce (as usual!). Regarding the antenna location, mine is a dealer-installed power antenna mounted on the passenger rear quarter. When we began getting everything sorted, we noted the antenna was not working. It turns out it was just not plugged into power. Now works perfectly!

Must be me in this pic the 428 car looks to have no antenna, nice work though.

I forgot about that! It’s an awesome thing.