1969 Cougar just Acquired

Hi everybody,

last night I finalized the acquisition of the family 1969 Cougar.
The car was bought from the dealer in Los Angeles by my nieces Grandmother, who passed it to my Brother-in-Law, and upon his passing to his to her.
She cannot care for it, so I’m keeping it in the family.

Grandma wasn’t into frills as evidenced by the decode (thank you CCOA)

9 Model Year: 1969
F Assembly Plant: Dearborn, Michigan
91 Body Type: Standard, Hardtop
M Engine: 351-4V Windsor

Door Tag
65A Body: Standard, Hardtop
F Exterior Paint: Dark Aqua Metallic
2K Trim: Lt. Aqua Corinthian Vinyl and Lt. Aqua Levant Pattern Vinyl
13A Scheduled Build Date: January 13, 1969
52 DSO / RC: Los Angeles, CA
6 Axle: 3.00 non-locking
X Transmission: FMX Automatic

Grandma drove it into the ditch sometime in the 90’s, so it has had some right side damage, I understand it wasn’t too bad.
It has been re-painted in the original Color and had the Vinyl Top replaced, there goes the un-restored class :cry:

Otherwise it’s still what it was in 1969 with reportedly only 60K miles. My Brother-in-Law let it sit in the garage for quite a while.
My niece’s husband (SoCal Drag Racer type) did a good job of making it a driver again (Brakes, shocks, and the like) but it needs more care than he can give it (he’s a Chevy guy anyway).

So, I’ll be leaning on you guys and apparently WCCC (why does everything end in .85 cents?) for advice & parts.

enough for now.

Looks like a very solid cat, I like the color. Have fun with it.

Hi Mike, looks like a nice 69 Cougar. Consider joining CATS Classic Cougar club as we cover the state of Ohio: Guess where our next big Cougar show is located… Arthritis foundation car show in Dublin OH!
catsccc.com

I’ve been in that show before with my Race truck. It’s right here in Dublin. I shall be there if it isn’t still in pieces from replacing the heater core :slight_smile:

Yeah… .85c is different I know. There are a lot of parts that we want to be the lowest price on but we cannot. Everyone else ends in .99c but we figured on those parts we cannot be lower on at least .85c looks like we tried? In reality most items end in a very odd amount as most folks get 10% off by ordering on the website. Love the color and what a great history. Make sure you ask for a calendar or something on your first order because you are a first time customer, Welcome!

I shall ask for the calendar. I understand some of your parts are already on the car, Drivers side window repair, and a brake booster. Now about that dashpad…apparently it is made of Un-obtainium.

Welcome Mike,
I have a lot of 69 Cougar parts! Including dash pads! And Im Ohio,so hit me up if you need something.

Hi Mike, Nice looking 69, and being a fan of Blue… really like the Aqua Metallic exterior.
Welcome to the Community. :thumbup:

No, someone just posted a mint one here a few days ago for $450. It has been sold but they do surface.

Thanks Don I appreciate the input. My comment was mostly humor as i have been scouring your site for about 3 weeks. My niece’s husband has been looking for a Dash Pad for quite a while and told me dashpads for a '69 are no esta aqui, hence my comment.

I am patient, and keeping my eye’s peeled. The car is still in Los Angeles, I have to get it here (Ohio) to confirm my parts list.

in the meantime I’ve been devouring your YouTube channel, really looking forward to the Heater Core Replacement (with A/C), I’m used to taking them out for race cars, not putting it all back together and making it work :slight_smile:

I’ve received the Doc package from my niece, Revelations galore, the real story unfolds.
Original Owners Manual, with the dealer & buyer info typed in. (Nice)
Many receipts for work, Calif. Smog (more on that), Repairs Paint etc.

Receipts from 6/6/91 show Front Bumper & brackets, lower valence LEFT Front Fender, & Fender Extension, Paint color match, buff etc…So Not too bad but it wasn’t the right side. Then the kicker, an Insurance Claim from 4/11/92, a Left Door ($180) and some junkyard hinges,so much for family memory.

Definitely, a receipt from 4/6/99 for paint complete, vinyl top, headliner, front bumper, rear bumper, $4,300 out the door.

Well it didn’t sit that much, and as I suspected there is a digit missing from the reported mileage. The Smog Check receipt from 1994 shows 154,491. Myth Busted!

the receipts also reveal the engine was rebuilt in May of 1997, Grand total of $580.71(gotta love the prices) for parts and machine shop work (.030 over). I’m sure the Bro-in-Law did the labor because he taught me how to re-build my first Chevy small block.

Ok that’s the update, I should actually see the car by the middle of December, God willing and the creek don’t rise!