1969 xr7 428 4spd vert, barn find / New to Registry!

So, did manual transmission XR-7s get the rather plain-looking shift knob seen on this car, rather than the spiffy white face w/blue stripes version? Seems an odd choice unless it has a burled finish to match the rest of the interior wood trim, but I can’t make out that being the case from the picture.

Just a question and please don’t boohoo on me, I just wondering. Here are some things that I see on the car in question. If the car actually has 54000 miles on it, Why would,

1. The hoses be changed out, since the car hasn’t had enough run time to merit different hoses.
  2. Was the water pump supposed to be black and not engine color?
  3. The driver side door pull is split in the center, again not handled enough for that many miles. I don’t think the vinyl would have dried out hard like that would it?
  4. With the amount of paint missing on the engine and how it is missing, doesn’t make sense to me.
  5. With the valve covers, is the dark areas caked on grease or chrome missing? If this is grease, why that much on a motor with that many miles.
  6. Lastly, the external fuel filter, questionable to me on a car that has, that many miles.

Could this by chance have 154000 miles instead? Again, Just asking. :slight_smile:

I like the other version better as well but this was considered the “upgrade wood-grain” version and was also used on the 69 Shelby. A low mile used one like this is worth 3 figures easy.

Because in 199? they got it going and those parts needed changing from sitting? Just a guess. If you use the pull strap to close the door every time then yes, they will crack after a decade of use. If you instead use the arm rest to close the door they last forever but your arm rest will crack in a decade. This is a one previous owner, documented car that was traded in at the same dealership in which it was bought new. As impractical to drive during the gas crunch era as this was, 154k miles in my opinion would be improbable, the previous owner was a woman and my assumption is she got tired of rowing gears on a daily driver. Have you ever seen a cleaner steering wheel?

Have you ever seen a cleaner steering wheel?

Yes :unamused:

Thanks Don for answering the questions. I think the car is in fantastic shape and thought that the car was bought and parked in the early 70s for some reason and had been sitting ever since. I guess I should have payed more attention.:slight_smile:

All I can say is that I want this car badly. Must sell children.

I’m with you Bill. I tried to sell mine but no luck!

2, I really had a lot of the same thoughts. The parts changed now makes sense with Dons explanation. If I just popped the hood being told 54,000 I would seriously have my doubts.

I agree with cougar2 and oldwood. I would be suspicious also. Plus looking at the shock tower to cowl braces they should be underneath the cowl lip, maybe a little more extensive engine work done? Was the motor out at one time? To me that would be another red flag.

Bill, i can store one of your cats for free! i’ll even drive it here for free!

i’ll even garantee your dash wont melt :dance:

that should give you a fre stall! :mrgreen:

hows that?

Friends you can count on! LOL!

Pulling the cowl to fender braces makes changing plugs MUCH easier. It doesn’t surprise me to see them put back in the easy way.

I’ve been wanting one of these for ages. I’ve just trained myself to say, “What a piece of crap” and the desire goes away. At least that’s what my therapist tells me to say.

I hear 'ya Zog! Little voices are talking, I have to consciously overrule them by telling myself such a car would need to be done to the highest standard (no problem there) and then would need to be a trailer queen (BIG problem there!) since it is rare and an investment, etc.

No, my car built my way, not rare and not overly valuable (well except perhaps to me) is a much better car for what I want in a Cougar, to drive and enjoy it!

Ahhh. That’s better.

:buck:

You guys are absolutely right.

You do not want this car, You do not want this car. You do not want this car.

Complete piece of crap. Complete piece of crap. Complete piece of crap…

Not working for me either.

Ok, seeing the picture of Bobs car just reminded me, hey! …That’s what this car would look like,… but in a different color. Oh man, Now I want it too. :drool: :frowning: we are all doomed…, is this where I confess that I have an addiction as well? :crazy:

Here Bill, let me help you (your words): They really messed up on the grill in '69 (or words to that effect).

Better? No? Must be the 428 and 4 speed working their magic on 'ya!

Nope no trailer queens here - even if my 428 is only 1 of 33. If I hadn’t been made semi-retired mine would end up with fuel injection, gear vendors overdrive, 4 wheel vented disk brakes and RRS rack and pinion. Which is my current dilemma, why own something so rare if you can’t drive it and enjoy it

Hrm… I’ve never bought “shares” in a car before, but for something like this it might be worthwhile.

How would something like that even work though, with multiple owners?

Have any of you guys done that before?

Just curious…

I would think that would be great. It would be like time shares. We take a long trip to hear all about it. Then we pay for a two week slot plus maintenance fees each ear. All the money from the maintenance fees would go into a pot and if the car needed anything, it would be pulled from that. Sounds like a plan to me. :smiley: