1970 "White" Interior

Well, the disassembly has started on my 70 XR7 convert.
I used to own the car in 1982. I now have it back (yay!) but it’s… different.

I remember the car having a “cream” (is this called “parchment?”) color interior back in the early eighties, but it is now a rather bright white.
The previous owner “sprayed” the interior rear interior panels, door panels and arm rests with what appears to be paint. It’s a bright white color, as opposed to the original yellowish white color. I can still find good examples of the original color behind the rear interior panels where the original vinyl is untouched.

What I’m trying to find out is if the original FA coded white interior was really a bright white, or was it this “cream” or “parchment” color? Perhaps my existing samples have simply yellowed with age? Does this occur?

And if one is to purchase reproduction interior components, such as upholstery, what shade might it be?

I would just go ahead and buy the seat cover set, but it’s around the $700 mark for a full set and I’d like to understand exactly what I would be
getting and how close it would be to the original color, and what other pieces I might need to source as well.

It’s been a long time since I have had the chance to pull a whole interior out, and I really appreciate any guidance you folks can give me.

Could anyone with a '70 XR7 white interior help me with a photo or two?

Many thanks!

John

I found this photo of a restoration…is this the interior color I should be striving for? It’s certainly not the same as I am seeing on my original white vinyl interior pieces. Mine have a lot more yellow and pearl tone on the original portions.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0116-232228/1970-mercury-cougar-xr7-convertible/
Any thoughts are much appreciated!

John

Pics of what you have might help.

Yes, good point. A picture would help.

Hopefully this may show the difference:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/144359036@N08/

Thanks again,

John

Your 1970 FA interior would be White Corinthian Vinyl & White Leather with Black. I think your interior should probably not be a brilliant white, but more like the creamy / pearly white that you see here for 1969 FA interior: http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/69xrleather-wt-fo.html

*I wasn’t able to find a '70 FA interior for comparison, so I’m not sure if there is a difference in seat cover styling. I was just using the '69 link as an example.

Hey, that helps quite a bit, as one photo from WCCC also shows some of the “yellowing” of the original interior pieces in comparison to the new seat covers.
My interior pieces have become substantially more yellowed with time, but still show the subtle pearl quality to them.

I wonder if replacement back interior quarter panel vinyl for a 1970 Mustang would fit a Cougar. I have seen the sewn fabric advertised on a Mustang site. Convertibles always seem to get a bit beat up in this area.
Thanks for the assistance!
John

Yes, they are the same and will fit.

Thanks for the info!

-John

Here’s my 70. This is the stock white “sport” interior. Not snow white but it’s not the yellow parchment of 67/8

This one has White Decor interior.

It looks to be a little ruff around the edges.

Thanks for the photos! Nice interior!

I now have a much better idea of what is “correct” for my '70 XR7. The vinyl coloring on my interior really did change a lot over time. And I actually think that the decor door panels are more visually attractive than the XR7 panels.

BTW, what heads/induction were you using to get 622HP out of 418 cubic inches? That car must really move out.