1972 Mercury Cougar Convertable

Does anyone have any thoughts on Export bar / Monte Carlo Bar to stiffen and tie the front end together , I’m trying to eliminate the front end shake.

Not sure if they make an “export brace” for the 71-3 Mustang/Cougar. I’ve seen a Monte Carlo bar though.

Can’t hurt, but the front end shake is not going to go away altogether on a convertible.

Be worth $50 to give this one a try.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/d1zz-16a052-a-repro.html

By itself, a monte carlo bar won’t noticeably reduce cowl shake, but a very rigid export brace will will help quite a bit. Find a shop that can fabricate one for you. It will be money well spent. Keep in mind that cowl shake on convertibles is actually the back of the car twisting in relation to the front. Short of installing a roll bar with a diagonal braces to the front, you’re never going to eliminate it.

Anyone installed frame connectors on a 71-72 convertible to stiffen it up any?

I’m outta the loop on this, don’t think anyone makes anything for the phatcats. In the below link which I thought was interesting was a comment by Yorgle on the subject relating to the baby cats. :smoke:

I know this thread is a year old but I’d like to resurrect it if I may. They recently brought home a 1971 convertible and I would like to step in the body.

I believe the 1971 through 1973 cars came from the factory with the equivalent of the aftermarket export brace that goes on the earlier cars, but they did not come with a Monte Carlo bar. Based on my experience with a 1969 Mustang Coupe the Monte Carlo bar is worthwhile, not dramatic but definitely a plus for how the car drives and feels.

If anyone makes subframe connectors for the 1971-1973 convertibles I think it would be highly worthwhile, most of the typical manufacturers that we source from don’t seem to have those, I haven’t looked into what it would take to fabricate something yet.

Has anyone reinforced the internal box of the car? What I mean by that is to put additional metal on the four corners of the cockpit where the side of the car meets the front firewall and the rear?

I’ve done that on some other cars, and it’s standard practice for certain air cooled sports cars that benefit from additional rigidity, just not sure if anyone’s tried that with one of our cars?

Thanks!

I have found that when enquiring about various parts etc, its often best to delete the word Cougar, and insert Mustang.
Suddenly a whole range of parts appear…:shushing_face:

The 1971-1973 Cougars left the factory with 2 separate shock tower to cowl braces. They did not have a one piece export brace.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

@bluestuff - shhh, but I’ve been searching Mustang forums too. Don’t tell anyone. Good tip, thanks!

@Randy, thanks for the more accurate description. In function is that not similar as an export brace on the earlier cars? To be super clear I am not asking to be a argumentative, I am asking to understand if a one piece is a worthwhile upgrade if it is commercially available. What do you think?

Monte Carlo bar an option and worthwhile?

Thanks guys and have a good Saturday.

Tdskip, have you checked 7173mustangs.com? It’s dedicated to the 71 to 73 mustangs but has a lot of useful information for our 71 cars. Remember that cougar has a longer wheelbase than the mustangs so subframe connectors may not be the same.
Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for the note. Good referral on that site. I did find them but wanted to be active here since, well, I have a Cougar!

The wheelbase data point explains why the connector fit is listed as it is, didn’t know our 71-73 cars were different.

Thanks!

An export brace if available would likely be something to consider - at least its a fairly simple bolt in item but not enough need to support making them IMHO. Owners of the big boat Mustangs and Cougars rarely look to these cars as sports cars or canyon carvers ( an old term) but rather as cruisers

Would not waste my time adding a Monte Carlo bar - especially since on designed with a straight bar is likely not going to fit. Too much engine and accessories will get in the way on many of them