351w swap or?

Lots of great opinions here. My son and I put a basically stock 351W 2V (converted to 4V with a set of shorty headers) engine in his '68 and it is a really nice driver. A bit more torque that is kind of fun. We didn’t want to build a car for shows, we built it to drive. It handles great with a larger front sway bar and the Shelby drop. Some day it will get some aluminum heads to let us raise the compression and EFI. In every respect it has greater potential than we need driving it the way we do. I think you would like it.

I have several FE powered Cougars and I love them. Torque is good. I love chirping the tires on the one / two shift. With the 2.79 rear axle they can also be Interstate cruisers of the first order. Very comfortable. Part of that is the very heavy engine in the nose. It just gives the car a sense of purpose.

My advice is to think about how you will actually use the car and then find a way to make your arm chair fantasies happy with that. It is so easy to look at big horsepower numbers and get excited about that… Then you end up with a car that won’t idle, that your wife doesn’t want to ride in cause it sounds like high school, that overheats at the slightest jam in traffic… And then it just sits.

A long time ago, actually I think I was a college sophomore, one of my friends had this little robin’s egg blue Triumph Spitfire roadster. It had a an 1150cc engine, maybe 70 horses on a good day. It had these little bitty skinny wheels with equally skinny tires. If you stacked all four of those tires in a pile it would have been about as wide as one N50 14 on the back of my high school Cougar. All the guys made fun of that car. After all we were into real cars and real performance. He just laughed us off.

The thing is, I never saw him driving that car alone. He always had some good looking young thing in the seat beside him. He even had one of those wicker picnic baskets to put on the trunk top luggage rack. We spent money on parts and fuel he spent money on cheap wine and cheese. We eventually realized that we had passengers to… usually another guy that liked the sound of those Thrush glass packs. If we were really cool the stereo was the only thing louder…

He would drive that car slowly through campus, some beautiful young thing, with the wind tugging at her pony tail, beaming next to him, the tiny four banger bubbling along with the ferocity of a popcorn popper. I watched in amazement as every young girl’s head was turned by that little car; didn’t they know it was slower than molasses? They seemed to not care. It was as if every coed on campus was of a single mind: I’ll have what she’s having.

My point, if I have one, is that more horsepower and better handling don’t always add up to more fun. I think my friend discovered that enough was enough. While we were all dreaming of the great times we would have AFTER we made all of those “improvements” he just went straight to having a good time.

Now I am a very, very, long way from trying to impress coeds, and also a long way from high school boy racer ambitions. Most of what I learned about both would be hopelessly obsolete now anyway. For me today it really is about the ride. And that means not turning my old cars into new cars. In the end I want them to retain the feel of the way they were. When people stop you, or wave at your old Cougar, they are saying: I want to have what he’s having. To each his own…

well put Bill- I know I spent a LOT, an awful lot of time, planning builds for my cars when I was still going over seas. They were a tremendous benefit for me to help pass the time. And really, non of those plans have come together.
Sorry, don’t mean to side track the thread-

Thanks guys- Like I said, I’m not looking for a 500hp car. Weekend drives with the family and meeting up with local classic car owners is how it’s used(until it’s snowed in).
I also like to blow off steam/have fun once in awhile and I’m disappointed in the 302’s power.

It sounds like the 351w has many options/aftermarket parts available and doesn’t require many modifications for fitment so that’s where I’m leaning.

When I build out my 351W I’m putting the Edelbrock 20922 - Performer RPM Top-End Engine Kit and Edelbrock 35930 - Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 EFI System which will net around 450 HP (give or take to the rear wheels)

Are you using an early model or late model roller block ?

Using a 69 block

What about a 351c? I found a mostly complete motor with C6 from a 73 cougar locally.

351C engines are heavy, and expensive to build with go-fast parts.
I would stay with 302/351W.

Before aftermarket Windsor heads, I would have considered a Cleveland. Now you can get C head performance with less weight, readily available parts, and the beefier crank journals of a Windsor block. I don’t see any advantages of a C over a W today, unless the car originally had one. Well, I will give credit to the valve covers, since there is something about canted valve heads that makes the engine bay look cool.

Thanks. After a couple hours of forum browsing that seems to be the general consensus among cougar/mustang owners.
For some reason 351w roller blocks are hard to come by locally so that’s why I asked. I’ll find one eventually

351W roller blocks, I believe are from trucks and vans. Not sure of the years.
Another thing to find out on the later 351W blocks is they may have a taller deck height? Possible issues with intake manifolds. You should further investigate.

I’m doing the Lunati roller cam conversion on my 351w. Unfortunately, that’s the only part I’m waiting on since it’s backordered until March 1.

I picked up aluminum GT40 style heads. Will my stock Powered by Ford valve covers fit with the roller rockers or will I need to get new valve covers?

Other question, does anyone know if the stock air cleaner will still fit on the 351W or will I need to get something lower profile?

planning ahead here, twist to the gist of this thread.
I want to do 351W based 408 in my 67. I like the hood w/o a scoop. I’m considering a MII front end swap and have heard it could raise the engine. Anyone heard of this? Ways around it? A scoop wouldn’t be the worst thing but trying to go w/o. Thanks!

Well I was planning to build my original 302 into the 347 stroker but the trusted machine shop is 2 months out for block work.
So, I finally found a 351w roller long block and picked it up last night. I’ll be able to enjoy driving while slowly building the 351.