429 Cougar burnt to a crisp

Missed that in your earlier post. What about 71 Cobras and Spoilers?

A Cobra is still a Torino.

No Cyclones either.

Just the Mustang.

Not sure why Ford did this, but 1971 was a funny year, the cusp for some pretty bad things.

1971 was the year smog/EPA, insurance became an issue. Especially the insurance people adding on big bucks for HiPo cars. Lots of 16 year olds getting cars and dead a week later. This 71 Torino Cobra is listed as 429 CJ, but even the Marti report says SCJ. Drag pack was a different option that not all SCJs had. Just as the 71 429SCJ Stangs didn’t all have. I think because of the Ram Air option it also caused much confusion as to which engine was under the shaker. Someone once told me they never put a C-4 in the 66 GT 350s, seen one back in 74 with dual holleys (Ford ID Tags on them and headers), from Shelby plant.
Ford never put the 427 in Stangs but did in a 68 Cougar, (actually Mercury did) go figure. 69 Galaxie 429 (N) 4spd, 1250 appx built, go figure. 66 Galaxie, 428 4spd, go figure, seen one of those once.
1971-ford-torino-429-cobra-jet.jpg

I don’t believe that to be true–CJ + Drag Pack = SCJ.

They built about 746 4-speed N-code full-size cars in 1969, FWIW, per Marti.

The whole reason I asked about this car is because if the price is right, IT’S WORTH SAVING! Not a decussion about CJ or SCJ.

I agree. Back in my younger days I pulled a few VIN’s with the title from cars that were going to the crusher. It’s such a rare car it has to be saved!

Can it be saved, I hope so.
But aren’t the body panels warped from the heat.

Since you ask - it depends on an evaluation of what is there. I’m not one of those “must be saved no matter what” especially when what is left of the original car is minimal. I am also not a fan of rebuilt rusty cars which leave the car with a majority of donor or repo parts and panel since to me it no longer a car your saving its a memory and not the real/original car any longer.

Just one opinion - mine :slight_smile:

About the only realistic way to fix this car is to find a nice 71 351 convertible and do a rebody… then dump an easy 20k in rebuilding the drivetrain and buying all the rare and expensive 429 cougar specific stuff. At that point it’s a tribute car at best and legally sketchy at worst. Sad to say but fire is the worst since it destroys everything. This car is vin tags and some drivetrain parts.

Exactly. But until physically looking at it, you just never know. Looking at the pics, the body panels doesn’t look warped just surface burnt. The cab, if the tag is still there somewhere in all the melted metal can be put on another. But surprisingly the valve covers look good and the dist cap isn’t melted. I have no doubt the dash is history. If anything saving the power train and suspension could make someone else happy.
Hate to see it go to the crusher. It looks like a minor surface burn and all the easy burn items. If anything it would make a parts car not a square of crushed metal.

Making up a story doesn’t make you correct. It just makes you uninformed.

Totally agree. It looks to me like this Cougar needs to be a donor car with the few decent parts it has that were not destroyed by the fire.

Hard to tell from the picture what damage has taken place. Another concern was how the fire was put out. The shock and affect of cool water on the heated metal can cause all kinds of issues in the metal also. Just something to consider for the next owner

Given the condition of the passenger side windows and the hood scoop they might have gotten lucky

Where might she be? Has anyone actually gotten an up close and personal look at it?