50th Anniversary show at Ford World Headquarters C.A.T.S Cougar club/CCOA

Seb67 from France is seriously considering the trip, and so am i. Not that far passed Toronto, in the '68, of course

Now that would be awesome! For you it is about 3.5 hours past Toronto with the border crossing. Hope you both can make it! Go Wings!

The host hotel is confirmed for the Cougar 50th at the Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn MI. We will be utilizing the Hilton double tree 5801 Southfield Rd, Detroit, MI 48228 which is located about a mile from the Ford world Headquarters and the 42nd Motor City SAAC Show n’ Go show site. http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/michigan/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-detroit-dearborn-DTTDBDT/index.html This is a full service hotel with restaurant, lounge and indoor/outdoor pool. The CATS club will have use of a hospitality room for the weekend. The parking lot at the hotel is fully fenced in and gated for security. We will have a section of the west parking lot roped off just for Cougar parking for the weekend. To start Hilton has blocked off 50 rooms for the 50th Cougar show. The room rate is $114 + 15 % sales tax. To make reservations contact Mimi Sion direct at: mimi.sion@hilton.com or call her direct 313-982-3983. After July 1 2016 I will have a code number that can be used to make reservations on the Hilton reservation line. The room rate is good for June 9,10,11 2017 and three day before and after those dates.
Google Maps

Is it probable that Saturday would be the big show day for us that want to drive up for the day?

This guy hauls classics at cut rat prices…

Don, I guess it doesn’t show unless you are signed up for Pintrist, which I am not.
Do you have link to a web site or something for the rest of us?

AAAT is a company that ships cars via Amtrak. I got a quote of $800-850 from LA-Dearborn.
http://www.aaat.com

Edit: Just reread their site. Not sure about the Amtrak part. But that was their quote anyway.

That sounds really reasonable compared to some of the other shipping quotes I’ve seen from CA to MI…

Just be careful with this. I used to work for a company that did a lot of vehicle shipments through rail and there is not too much care provided, at least on the rail end. I have seen vehicles with entire exhaust systems torn of, just because of it getting snagged on something and they just keep going at it until something breaks. I have also seen lots of other undercarriage damage that would not have happened if a little care was taken.
If you have a car you care about, I would stick with enclosed transport. It is just not worth it in the end if your car is damaged.

Membership forms are starting to roll in. Keep 'em coming folks. Let’s party.
Ray Bischoff
Finance Director and Vice President for C.A.T.S.

Brian is the Prez/Commander in Chief.

Commander Carpenter has a nice “ring”.

The event at Ford World Headquarters is an amazing opportunity for Cougar Enthusiest from around the world to visit the area where it all began. There are many people in California planning on attending 2017 events. The Western Show this year speaking with all of the participants about the 50th Anniversary events and supporting as many of them as possible.

The Link to the 2016 event Cougar Club of America - Mercury Cougar

This thread will be an ideal spot to post any transport contacts and group rates potentially worked out as getting cars to events and setting attendance records will be key in ensuring a future for our hobby.

t

Did anything come of this?

Road trip?

Hello,
Please keep me informed on this event. I am local, and own a 1967 Mercury cougar.

Welcome to the forum! Since you are local, please consider signing up and joining CATS Classic Cougar Club to be kept updated on this anniversary event. Visit http://www.catsccc.com

Cheers!

I will say that an opportunity to show your car at Ford World Headquarters should be on everyone’s bucket list. I no longer own a Cougar, but did have the opportunity to show my SS CJ back at Ford’s 100th. I remember it like it was yesterday and am so glad I was able to make it work and take the car there. I do have Hertz Shelby that I should bring to the SAAC Show just to see all the Cats and friends.

Ken Compher

Mascot?

Can be had for $300.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/for/5586631104.html

That’s kind of bad ass.

We are looking at it. Getting dates for roll-on roll off transport to east coast, then drive to Carslisle, Dearborn and Route 66 to LA before shipping back to Oz. (unless anyone wants to buy a right hand drive 428 ram air XR7 convertible)

Edited a few times—

Mike,

I just spoke with Vance from AutoDriveway, a Broker in Portland. He said it’s a good idea, but there are a few disadvantages:

We’d have to buy the whole truck and plan on a max of 8 cars.

Cost is 10,000 for open, 14,800 enclosed EACH WAY (this is crazy, I haul Meat loads this run would be about 3600.00) Or $1,850 each way enclosed, 1,250 open (risk is really just dirt and hail covered by insurance) Cost is 200 each way more to book individually

We cannot lock in right now for a year out. Fuel may go up, etc.

Insurance max is $100k. Not too big a deal, but??

Turnaround for one carrier waiting in Dearborn may be an issue, might need one carrier one way and another for return trip.

Advantages:

$200 per car each way savings to pool but we’d have to pay the entire rate of full truck if we don’t get 8 participants.

Driver would be paying attention to everybody’s car equally and pickup can be done at my place or any one point’s driveway etc (and I’d be willing to let people park their trailers, etc at my place for a couple weeks no problem.

Thoughts? (My thought is ouch!)

B