'67 Sunroof cars? Anyone got the facts?

That’s an interesting link. I don’t think Heinze Prechtor had anything to do with the 1960 Thunderbird.

Interesting to see the mention of 1967 Thunderbirds with ASC / Golde power suroofs. I worked on one of those cars. It was heavily optioned with the Q code 428 and AC. At the time I had no idea it was connected with Abercrombie and Fitch or that it was one of five.

Curious to see the Marti Report. Do you have one?

Marti Reports were not available until 1967 other than a few scattered years for Thunderbirds.

I think your thinking factory invoices, formally known as Eminger reports. And your correct on them not being available for 1967 Cougars

A Marti report can be procured for that 1967 Cougar. But not a factory invoice.

This is a Marti report for my car. I have copies from 1967 Cougar too, but they are not my cars and don’t with to post those.

Not sure if Kevin would show a sunroof as being factory installed on a '67 Cougar or not - that would be an interesting question.

Good question Royce. His book Cougar, by the numbers does not list any 67 Cougars getting Sun roofs. I recall reading that few were made as prototypes.

1 Like

I’ve seen a couple so I know they exist. The question is were they done by Heinze Prechtor at ASC or were they done by LM?

According to the timeline and history of ASC that I have gathered, American Sunroof Corp. was founded by Prechter in 1963 and set up shop at Forster Autobody in San Francisco to do the installations. In 1965 they opened another outlet in Northern California behind Barris Kustom City renting a garage from famous car customizer George Barris (see attached pic). It was Barris’s connections with Ford that landed ASC the contract to install sunroofs in new 1967 Cougars and Prechter opened up a shop somewhere in Michigan to do it.

What is interesting is Barris’s relationship with Ford Motor Company and the resulting impact he had on Cougars and Mustangs including the power sunroofs, the Rader Wheels originally intended for the XR7-Gs and quite possibly the use of Cougar and Thunderbird tail lights on the Shelby Mustangs.

• Phillip

1 Like

If you zoom in on that pic of Barris’ store front you’ll notice the Rader Wheel Display which includes the G style spoked wheel.

• Phillip

1 Like

Barris’s connection with Ford also yielded him this car.
1955 Lincoln Futura
And the rest is history as they say.

1 Like

Yes! - another example for sure -

• Phillip