68 xr7 axle seal re-install

Hello! I pulled out my axel, I replaced the seal, gaskets, the bearings felt good. For the Reinstall I need a sanity check.

After repeating the seal, reinserting the axel and pushing it forward … how far in does the bearing go? In other words if I can just tighten up the 4 nuts on the bearing plate, does that mean I have the axel re-installed properly for the most part?

My diff is bone dry from old leaks… so it doesn’t spin great after reinstall to align the hole where u put a socket through… hoping it’s a lack of lubricant, not the axel not sitting properly. Thanks!

I am not sure I entirely understand your question but this was the result from my install. These are Moser axles with sealed and pressed on bearings going into a 9". Everything I used was either new or restored and clean. I lubricated everything for smooth install and proper break-in. I only needed some light tapping with a rubber mallet to get things fully seated.

Capture1
Capture2

Thank you for the pics… man that looks so clean compared to mine :slight_smile: Basically wanted to be sure that everything was sitting properly for me… I ended up popping the axel back out a smidge and re-wiggled it into place. What I didn’t anticipate was my bottle jack slowly let down the axel and the other side, that still had a tire on it, would not spin when I tried to spin the side I was operating on. Seems OK now. Hoping it doesn’t leak after I fill 'er back up. I appreciate your help!

1 Like

Definitely replace the bearings if it hasn’t be done in the past. These cars are over 50 yrs old now. Usually axle bearing failure starts out slow getting the axle hot and fatigued with the potential of breaking the axle.

1 Like

I’m actually not sure if they’ve been done - although based on condition I’d say probably? Good call though for sure, I ended up doing operation because when I first got it from the PO water literally poured out of the axel and when I put an endoscope in the diff fill hole it was empty so she needed some love. I will definitely keep an eye on it for any wheel shake/shimmy. Turns out one of the nuts on the T bolt on the passenger side was just a regular nut, not a tapered one. Just bought a single prevailing torque nut to replace it. I wonder if that was a cause of the leak to the axle to begin with.