A/C & Heater fix

Here’s testing the fan, and picture of the damage to the bottom half of the heater box. In that picture of the fan, it would spin counterclockwise, which seems correct to me due to the blade orientation.

And here’s the inside of the bottom of the heater box, and the current state inside the Cougar.

And lastly, the crack in my heater core.

Well, that sure wouldn’t have worked. Mine isn’t leaking coolant at 63k miles, but after 50+ years I’m not taking any chances. Looks like a big job. Glad heater blower works!

Is that R-19 insulation?

First time I fired up the engine with the core hooked up I leaked a good bit right into the passenger footwell, so I knew it was cracked but at least it’s in a spot that I can fix.

I have no clue about the insulation, it was all in there when I was taking apart the whole thing. It’s all pretty brittle and falling apart.

Excellent thread and answers. I lot like my situation. Replacement parts are getting hard to find to stay with the York Compressor.

Any help in getting my AC system going again? So far I have replaced the heater core and pressure tested and inspected the evaporator, and tested the icing switch. A vacuum test on the system before I opened it held properly. Compressor is locked up.
I plan to:

1. Replace the receiver / dryer.
  2. Replace the expansion valve.
  3. Flush the evaporator, hoses and condenser with 90 % isopropyl alcohol.
  4. Install new bearing on the idler pulley

Is it recommended to get a new 4-seasons aluminum housing York compressor or save $50 and go with a rebuilt unit?

I pulled the A/C clutch. It spins, but is not zippy. How much resistance should there be? Any real bench test for this? Clutch alone is $150!

WCCC either stopped carrying or out of stock for the compressor, clutch, drier and expansion valve.
I’ll get the idler bushing at WCCC. Seems like the best deals for the rest are Four Seasons for the Compressor, Filter/Drier and maybe the clutch, if I have to get one.

Expansion valve: CJ’s has the straight design Expansion valve with the right fittings for $83.
Four seasons makes one with the 90 deg design for $20. Anyone use the 90 deg instead of the straight one like original?

Thanks,
Keith
1968 Cougar