Aluminum rad recommendations

If you do change out water pumps get 1 of these, they are half the cost, life time warranty and owned by US veterans and made in the USA.
https://www.cvfracing.com/accessories/mechanical-water-pumps/ford/ford-fe/

Thank you for this…

I INSTALLED AN ALUMINUM RAD IN MY 68 WITH A 390. I GOT IT FROM CJ PONY PARTS PART # FM-ER307. IT FITS PREFECTLY AND LOOKS CLOSE TO ORIGINAL, IT’S A BOLT IN AND THE FACTORY MOUNTING BRACKET FITS CORRECTLY AND THE FACTORY (REPRO) FAN SHROUD BOLTS ON CORRECTLY WITH NO MODIFICATIONS. ALSO WENT WITH A FLOW KOOLER WATER PUMP FROM SUMMIT. ONLY DOFFERENCE BETWEEN THE FLOW KOOLER PUMP AND THE FACTORY PUMP IN APPEARENCE IS THE FLOW KOOLER PUMP DOESN’T HAVE THE FORD PART NUMBERS CAST IN IT. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Thank you very much…I will check it out.

My Cougar is a 289 but back in the 80’s I had continued cooling problems. I had the radiator flushed with no change so I then flushed the block and a big wad of blue RTV came out, no more cooling issues after that.

Most people have little issue with small block cooling. The FE is all but wedged in. It just doesn’t have the ability to get air in and around the engine.
The other major issue with FE’s in that Joe Somebody engine builders so often screw up head gasket installation. It’s REALLY easy to do.
Many do it and it’s usually the passenger side head.
I guess I’m done with the thread, despite proving plenty of information. Good luck.
-Keith

I am very grateful for your engagement Keith. Please don’t take my lack of response as a snub. I appreciate your time and experience. I posted pictures of the head gasket tabs protruding out the front of my block way back in other posts, so I am confident at this point that the head gaskets are installed correctly. I understand that BB FE’s run warm, and that mine likely always will. I still feel like there is room for improvement however, and I will certainly consider your sound advice over the long Canadian winter.

Cheers,
Dennis