Best & Worst Reproduction Parts

Hey all, just wanted to update this thread with our first batch of “best & worst” videos! Check 'em out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpN11G3pvsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTxrBy668Ac

So… how do you really feel? LOL!

Thanks to both Don and Andrew for making these videos. It’s great information to have!

And I have to agree with Don…those reproduction emblems are the fine jewelry every Cougar deserves.

Sounds good in theory Bill, but “once bitten, twice shy”.

So Bob, the first ELFI you sent me failed… LOL!

I’m going to toss into the “Worst” ring with my most recent purchase. XR7 deck lid emblems. If all the trim had a “Goldish” tint, they’d be fine, but it doesn’t. They look horrible. I can’t wait until someone comes up with a proper set.

rcode

So Bill, hopefully you’ll forgive me if I fail to take the comment in the spirit it was intended (which is highly likely)!

That may be true (I cannot remember!). But Bill, you were one of the alpha testers, your unit was free. Not quite the same situation, was it? And sometime later (after I fixed it I’m sure) when I offered to upgrade it to the latest design free of charge, you could not find it!

Totally different situation actually. With the ELFI’s, I provide unlimited support to satisfy the customer (the result being a working LF system). With the 69/70 quarter emblems, after two sets that I found unsatisfactory, the summary of what I got from you and WCCC was something to the effect of “they are what they are”, quite a different “end user experience” than what is offered/provided with the ELFI.

Having said all that, I’m sure it is more, much more than you wanted to know (which I’m fairly confident you know already).

Regards,

Robert

Bob, Bob, Bob… The point was that if at first you don’t succeed, try, try, again. Exactly the way you did in developing your part. I am sure that you will continue to make improvements in the event that you find new issues that require solution. In our second run of the part we were able to address issues we discovered in the first run. With regard to this part, your ship has sailed. You already have a solution that makes you happy so I had no expectation that you would do anything other than look at the new run. I addressed a problem that you called out. I thought you might be interested in the fact that I listened to what you said, took it as constructive criticism, and acted on it.

And yes, I didn’t return the dead ELFI. The whole point of testing is too find out what goes wrong in the real world environment, not to see how many free parts you can hand out. You had the problem resolved at that point and needed no additional testing from me. I could have sent it back, but it would have cost you money with no real benefit from it. Since then I have installed another ELFI and if you look at the tech article I did in LCM showing the installation of the volt meter you will see the wires for the ELFI on that car. It works great. I still think that you need to come up with a housing, but maybe that is for the next generation product.

I cannot emphasize enough how tough the glass situation is…I was horrified to see Gunner “done” with the new glass and was worried it was going to just kill a lot of hard work. It makes me want to stay off roads with current cars, lol…

Great videos Don and Andrew!

These ones? If so, I agree that they’re not that great, a little rough around the edges, sloppy paint work, cheap feeling material. Again, one of those things where this is the only “new” option. Unlikely that someone else will repro them, although I’m sure Bill / Desert Classics could do a much better job.

I am with you… Notice I left feedback after purchasing one? BTW, when I leave feedback on my own site I ONLY leave negative. Do not want to be viewed as tilting the results in favor of WCCC products. http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/xrdeck.html

Very pleased with the feedback we have got from these 2 videos, Andrew and I have already started planning volume 2. Does not hurt my feelings in the least that sales will immediately plummet on all the items we speak poorly of, I hate processing returns and our policy is if we say it is crap and suggest you not buy it, you cannot return it claiming it was crap…

Bill, Bill, Bill! Is it not obvious by now that you must make the meaning where I am concerned crystal clear!? I would be happy to look at the revised part but am gun shy about ordering another set. BTW, no ship has ever sailed for me, when I ordered these parts it was to “upgrade” the sanded, polished and clear-coated originals I used in the restoration completion in 2011. The rub came when I found they were (sadly) not an upgrade!

Next time you come to PHX you can check them out. It is starting to get really hot, over 110 by the weekend so they will probably want to send you to Yuma any time now.

Happily (or unfortunately in the context of this discussion), it is highly unlikely that I will have to go to Yuma any time soon. My current position/function rarely requires me to go (unlike my previous position/function).

Sorry for the OT posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKjM5BYpHXc

Somebody we know gets a good rap in this video about the reproduction business

That was completely unexpected. I don’t think I have even talked to Jeff about making parts. Of course I am deeply gratified, blown away actually… I have talked to Jeff about the magazine business, he is an incredible writer. Wow…

Yeah, great video Jeff explains it well. keep doing what your doing Bill we appreciate it :thumbup: What he says rings true for current auto parts as well as aftermarket. As a corporation when they look at producing a new part they look at R&D cost, manufacturing cost, volume and return on investment. As a large corporation with millions to invest in said product they want the number to come back around a 20% profit. If not they won’t take the risk because they can invest those millions into stocks etc… where they can get 10% plus back at that dollar amount with less risk and guarantee no warranty cost. If the product or division you work in starts getting down close to the 10% return on sales. You won’t be a part of the corporate portfolio very long.

Yep - they need to price parts based on - cost recovery + cost of capital + return to shareholders + provision for investment

Very cool! Congrats Bill.

After installing a third EIVR I’ve decided that the fuel gauge is just off, it reads lower than it is. I threw together a test 12v power supply and looked at what I had. After opening the Scott Drake and seeing that nothing looked amiss I tried it with the power supply and it gave me a good read (5.13v) so I just put it in the car and it is now working fine. The new one I just pulled out from NPD, where I got the SD one gave me 5.03v. But the ELFI unit was reading at somewhere around 11.25v. But like I said before, I think I damaged it when I first installed it. And being that the stock IVR would output at anywhere from .5 to 5.whatever I was never able to check out the rest of the ELFI unit. So I can’t judge the ELFI as good or bad. But I will say the Scott Drake EIVR is working fine.