Carburaetor choices? or stock?

when I removed the old carb it had a gasket between the spacer plate and the manifold… also the new carb are with a black spacer/gasket that is about 1/4 inch thick,
so I’m trying to figure out the order from the manifold up…
I would assume I need to install… 1 gasket 2 spacer plate 3 summit 1/4 gasket 4 carburetor

not sure why I would or wouldn’t use the ported vacuum line but I’m not using the 4300. I have a summit carb

Right. Gasket, spacer, gasket, carb.

And there’s always debate about whether to run manifold vacuum or ported vacuum for your distributor. For a stock engine I prefer manifold vacuum. To get into “why” you should run manifold vs. ported, there’s a whole lot of discussion involved.

The simple answer is, set your timing, and hook up your vacuum advance. Whether you choose ported vacuum (which has no vacuum at idle, and adds vacuum advance as soon as the throttle blades open), or whether you use manifold vacuum, just connect that directly to your distributor. If you are interested in the differences, and what effect they will have, here’s a recent post that might help you understand: What does vacuum advance do?

turns out the original studs are1/2 too short now… already ordered he correct ones…

also looks like I need this kit for ford applications… is that the case?https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08070

From your pictures, it looks like you already have a place to hook the spring on your intake, and you can probably use your existing throttle return spring just fine.

1 Like

Ok thanks for so much info! Really helps! Waiting on extended carb mounting studs and correct gasket to finish putting in the carb

1 Like

Bought this fitting to bend towards the direction of the fuel line… do I need anything to seal the threads on this new fitting?

1 Like

I’d use Permatex 85420 or something similar; a sealant that is gasoline resistant. Avoid using teflon tape - it tends to come off inside the fitting, and will clog ports or make your seats stick open.

Ok will do :saluting_face:

So line #1 goes to the splitter which goes to the distributor is this correct? I’ll be capping it off at the splitter when I remove line 1?

The “splitter” you’re talking about is a thermal vacuum switch. I would put caps on all three of its fittings just to keep dirt out of it, or put a plug in the thermostat housing to replace it. Then run a vacuum hose to the manifold vacuum port on the back of your manifold, or, if you prefer, to the ported vacuum port on the passenger side toward the front of your new carburetor. Put the other end of that hose on your distributor’s vacuum port directly. If your old hoses are stiff and inflexible, be sure to get new vacuum hose, to prevent splits and leaks.

Do not use ‘washer fluid’ hose for this, or cheap rubber tubing; it will collapse and not function when you put vacuum to it.

ok asof now here where I’m at… got the carb installed and capped all vacuum ports … is this correct?

also ned some clarification on where to put the spring on the carb as well as the rod the links to the accelerator… pls and thank you :pray: