Dan Gurney Special / Car of The Year

Turns out my Dan Gurney Special was ordered with the styled steel wheels, and it didn’t have the chrome valve covers, nor chrome dipstick. It’s odd that someone would get a vehicle withe the Dan Gurney package, and then not get all of the package!?

Two things that could easily be swapped. You sure they weren’t originally there?

I did discuss with the original owner’s wife and the engine was rebuilt, so that explains why no factory chrome dipstick and no factory chrome valve covers. However, it is odd that I have original valve covers used on the engine. I guess they must have been replaced. Thanks for everyone’s help, I’ve been wanting a Cougar for decades and I finally have one, that is most important part, the erst is all icing on the cake to me!

Can anyone decipher all of this text from the original loan agreement (specifically line 5 and 8)? Thanks.

289 4V
Dan Gurney Special
F70 14 tires styled steel wheels
Console Clock
Tilt Steering
Radio
Tinted Windshield or Windows?
Door Guards
Rear Bumper Guards

Wow that’s pretty cool. A $100 down payment.
Steven

Thanks xr7g428. Any thoughts on the TW.? (or whatever it is) after the radio?

I like how they wrote Dan Gurney twice. I guess I got the Dan Gurney “double” package! LOL

$100. down is awesome.

Unless you are the original owner, all bets are off concerning originality once a car has passed through a couple of owner’s hands.

Amazing what people will change and do to a car.

• Phillip

I think that it was probably tinted windows after the radio.

It looks like Door guards not Dan Gurney to me… In the little book that sales people carried the door guards and bumper guards are listed next to each other.