Did you feel a movement in the FORCE?

Joe I lived in Tulsa in the 70’s and, I believe came across your car a couple of times. The first time I was in the back seat of my brother-in-laws parents 70 Thunderbird traveling west bound on the Broken Arrow expressway at about memorial. My brother-in-law was in the right lane doing probably about 50 in the T-Bird, the GT-E was behind us and pulled into the left lane to pass. When he got even with us, he punched it and smoked the right rear tire. I was probably 14 or 15 at the time and was greatly impressed. I remember the silver and blue paint.

Later probably around 1978 I saw a classified ad for the car and it was being sold by an ORU student. He lived in an apartment complex off Harvard. I looked at the car in the parking lot. It was a nice car then, and more expensive than What I could swing at the time. I do not remember him saying anything about it having anything but the 427 in it. Maybe he was the owner when it was stolen?

There has been a GTE in my backyard, and I didn’t know it?? DAGOMMIT!!! Joe, tell you what, bring it up to my house, I’ll take GOOD care of it for you!

Kidding, welcome aboard!

(and to both of you, especially Bill the hoodlum, when the flashing lights appeared in your mirror…mighta been my dad! LOL)

Joe – Please contact me as soon as possible, so together we can identify “which” GT-E it is that you have. You don’t say whether or not it’s an XR7 or a Standard ? Whether or not it has a vinyl top ? Please advise. Thanks.
Jim Pinkerton
Cougar GT-E Registrar
360-668-0243
email = pinktwo@live.com

Joe welcome to the Classic Cougar Community. What a great story. I can’t wait to see the pictures of your family’s GT-E.
Steven

It’s an XR7 with the 7.0 Litre GT-E badge. It had (will have) a Black Vinyl top.
The VIN on the door is 8F93W537696
Body Type 65B
Color D
Trim 8B
Date 23B
DSO 228282
Axle 8
Trans U

what’s that all tell me :slight_smile: ?

Joe –

Thanks for clarifying things. Your car has been on the Registry since March, 2003. It was reported to me by one Dan Haynes whose buddy back in about 1985 lived near where the car was, north of the airport. They went to see it and talk with the owner at that time. Since I did not know who the owner was, it is listed as “withheld, Oklahoma, City”. I will need you to send me your complete name, address, email, and phone number so that I can update the Registry and send you your copy (only given to owners’ of record).

Okay that said, the vin code itself 8F93W537696 tells you the year model = 8; the production plant = F; the model = 93 (XR-7); serial number = 537696. The door tag information tells you: 65B = XR-7; D = paint color, Nordic Blue; interior trim = 8B (blue comfort weave); scheduled production date = 23B (February 23, 1968; 228282 = district sales office (22) and special order number year (8) and special order number (required for a GT-E) 282; rear axle ratio = 8 (3;50:1 open); and transmission = U (C6 automatic).

Jim Pinkerton
Cougar GT-E Registrar