Fossilized backlite gasket removal (69)

All,

The gasket is hard as amber and trying to get a trim clip to release only resulted in hardened chunks of the gasket coming loose and a broken clip. I’m guessing the only way to get the trim off at this point is to chisel the hardened gasket out, while wrecking and then replacing the retaining clips. Any better suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice as always!

If your plan was to remove the rear window, then cut it with a good sharp utility knife. I usually remove the trim and then cut the gasket. Then removal of the trim clips is easy. But you may need to replace several. They do rust.

The headliner tore, and the back gasket is shot, so the glass is definitely coming out and a new gasket will go in. The hard part for me is getting an angle on the clip to release it, since the gasket is a brick and I’m afraid to twist too much and bend my trim. I think I may have to angle the tool more, which I was initially hesitant to do.

To quote Bon Jovi…halfway there

Victory!

Thanks for posting your cavalier opinion of removing the backlite trim. It prompted me to go “Marcellus Wallace” on mine and quit being gentle. I only broke two clips!

I have removed many rear windows. But have never seen a window seal in that bad of condition. I usually plan to replace all the clips anyway as they are 50 some years old. Sorry if I sounded trite. It was not the intention.

Oh, no, not at all! It was a statement of fact that made me realize what I needed to do. All good. Adding this edit: I just looked up “cavalier’, and never should have used it.

Continuing to progress after getting the trim removed.

For those who PM’d concerns about my paint, the entire car was shot over poor prep work, so it looks good from 30’, but up close this is what you’ll find.

I noticed the Carlite symbol is backward and am finding a lot more butyl sealer than expected while breaking apart the old gasket. I’m wondering, is it possible the backlite was removed and reinstalled backward at some point?

And last, lots of chunks. This weekend the glass comes out and the real cleanup begins.

With the way the glass is curved it is not possible to install it backwards. It only fits one way.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Thanks. My first time working on glass other than the doors and quarters, so I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something obvious.

The last bits of the gasket and glass came out easily, and I’ve been on cleanup since with rags and WD-40. How clean is clean enough? I had leaks, so I’m trying to get all the butyl out of the cracks and crevices and will de-grease to remove any WD-40 residue before install. I was super excited to find nothing but gorgeous gold paint (Someday, she’ll be gold again) in spite of the huge gaps and cracks in the original gasket.

I haven’t done front or back glass before, so I am planning to follow Don’s video on installing the windshield on a 68 using strip caulk and caulking compound. I even have a long roll of weed eater cord, so I think I’m set. Anything I’m missing before the re-install?

I’ve been distracted by other things lately but finally cleaned the glass and fitted the rubber gasket. There is a raised triangular bead on the outer edge, and I assume this provides a seal between the trim and gasket to prevent the trim from holding water. Don mentioned the gasket is too thick, so should I trim this or work through it and force the trim back into place?

Sidetracked by work, Covid, and then work again, my project has been idle. Today I finished pulling out the frayed and falling apart headliner, so it is time to start the install.

2 Likes

Progress

1 Like

Headliner in. Saddle looks weird so once it settles, I’ll dye it.

And the backlite is in thanks to my second son, and second set of hands!

3M 08509 bedding compound was the final challenge, but she’s done short of dyeing the headliner. Every step was, “Well, at least the hard part is done…” Thanks again for the help and support from the forum!!