Front and rear suspension improvement for my 1973 XR7

Does anyone out there know of a manufacturer who fabricates a front and rear suspension clip that will weld and/or bolt on to the existing body to improve the ride characteristics and make the overall frame much more rigid? I would also consider a full frame replacement if one is made.

Welcome to the forum. Front and rear clip replacement would probably cost more than the car is worth. Time and labor would eat your budget. Your car is a unibody so no easy path to frame replacement. The suspension is 50 years old so probably not as tight as it used to be. Replace all springs and control arms would be a difference you will feel. Opentracker would be a good site to visit. Check out the '73 Mustang sites to see what the mustang guys have done to theirs. You have lots of options and others will chime in.

Perhaps the best bang for the buck you can experience with these old cars is a rebuild of the front suspension and steering. The problem is that most of the original stuff is completely worn out. As such it drives like crap. Rebuilt it is vastly better.

Just replacing the sway bar bushings can make such a huge difference that people don’t expect.

Having restored several Mustangs, yes, replace everything. Upper and lower control arms, coil springs, sway bar ends/bushings. As mentioned the Mustang sites will have excellent ideas.

I just purchased my second 1973 XR7 so restoring it is going to be an adventure as my first one was brand new. Good luck

Thank you for your suggestion as well. It certainly sounds like it is most definitely the way to go. Do you suggest a particular vendor or product manufacturer? Good luck with your restoration as well. Are you intending to leave in your shock towers? A couple of you have mentioned visiting the Mustang sites. Do you have a favorite to sign up for? Also, I have tried to contact West Coast Classic Cougars via phone and website contact. I have not heard from anyone as yet. Does anyone know if they are closed now? I want to say again, I am very fortunate that I have received help on this site and am very appreciative.

Moog parts are hard to beat. Maybe Cougar Bill will chime in with specifics. WCCC is understaffed and not able to provide a lot of phone time. Don doesn’t want just bodies answering the phone. Finding car guys is hard to do.

Thank you for suggesting Moog. That makes sense regarding WCC, and Don’s preference.

I’ve used National Psrts Depot for my Mustang restorations since 1985. They are excellent.

You’re right, their part offering options are quite extensive. Thank you so much for the referral.

Try this website as it’s dedicated to 1971-1973 Mustangs.

7173Mustangs.com

good luck