Headlights blink off and on

So I purchased the wiring harness for my new headlight. Installed the lights and the harness from NPD. Thought it was good but never really tried them for an extended time. Tonight I had my car parked in the driveway. It was dark and I had the high beams on. It wasn’t long and I could see them flashing and a clicking noise from the head light switch.

So does that mean the wiring harness I purchased didn’t work or do I have to replace my headlight switch because it could have been damaged from my previous wiring and old halogen lights setup

Halogens overload the circuit breaker internal to the headlight switch, so the best way of fixing this is to use a relay to power the headlights. Many catalog companies list headlight relays.

1 Like

Had a dimmer switch that would cause that problem too. I could hear a metal spring sound when it would trip on and off. Built in circuit breaker?

I did

I purchased a relay wire harness from NPD and upgraded my headlights to LEDs but still have the flashing. Do I have to replace my (10 years old) headlight switch? Or is there something else

Sounds like the switch is doing it’s job, if you have an amp meter it would be interesting to see if how many amps are flowing.

Where and how would I check that

The actual headlight circuit breaker that sounds like a spring when it pops is located in the headlight switch itself. For 69/70, there are actually two of them:

Headlights - 18A

Tailights, parking, marker, and license lights - 15A

I’ve also seen the dimmer switch cause similar problems.

1 Like

Superbond, sorry for the late reply but I found using a clamp on amp meter works best for tight areas. You’ll clamp around the main power wire ( usually the lg gauge wire) on the headlight switch wiring harness. I’m sure people here with more knowledge can give you the color of the wire. Good luck.