Headliner

Getting ready to install a new headliner in my 68 XR7 and would like to get any tips to help me along.
I watched the WCCC video and it looks a bit intimidating but I’m going to give it shot.
Any ideas on how to locate the many holes and locations needed for all of the items that have to go through the new headliner?
Thanks.

I used about 100 or more of these office spring clips to hold the material in place.
get small, medium and large clips, as many as you can buy or think that you will need.
this was a great tool for the job and when you are done you will have an endless supply of chip bag clips. :laughing:

Put the screws back in their holes to help you locate them. screw them in as far as they will go, after headliner install, use a razor blade and cut a small X, and back the screw out. works for me.

^^^ What catlover said…put your screws back in the holes they came from, then do the install of the headliner.

Thanks for the tips. I might be able to “borrow” those clips from work. I also have seen old wind lace used but I am reusing mine. As for the screws in the holes, good idea. Took all next week off so I will be taking my time with the install.

I guess you have the front and rear glass out, use glue for headliners only, the other stuff won’t hold.
If you could get some glue from an upholstery shop, what would be super.

This is old and needs to be updated some day but it may provide some insight.
1967 Cougar Headliner Replacement - C7XR7.pdf (2.01 MB)

Thanks C7XR7. Exactly what I needed. That and the WCCC video should get me through it with a good end result. The previous owner had installed the headliner without removing any of the glass or anything else. I have the interior completely gutted. My 68 is a mix and match of 68 Cougar, Mustang and newer Cougar. (i.e. 351W and dark blue interior). I have to be kind of creative working on it. Also l did purchase headliner glue.