Ignition Key sticking

I began to notice that my ignition key starting to stick inside the ignition. I did a google search and I’m reading conflicting opinions. Some say a dry powder graphite, others mention WD-40 Dry lube, while others say very light coat of oil. Any recommendations? Also, best way of cleaning the cylinder to get the gunk out?

Lock oil or 3 in 1 oil would be the things to try. Unfortunately they are cheaply made and it’s likely the key is sticking because the cylinder is worn out. It may be time to replace the ignition cylinder and door locks.

1 Like

I added a little 3 and 1 oil and it made it a little easier. The oil turned black after working it in a few times. I guess it’s got some gunk in there. I’m going to get some pipe cleaners to get the gunk out.

I see a new cylinder is inexpensive. Do I have to remove the steering wheel to remove the lock cylinder? I have a 1973 automatic with tilt steering.

I don’t have a shop manual for a '73 so no idea. Earlier ones you just put a paperclip in the hole with the key and rotate it backwards to remove.

I picked up a new ignition cylinder from WCCC. The shop manual says to remove the steering wheel to remove the cylinder. There is no hole specifically on the 73 steering column to remove the cylinder. I asked my mechanic about pulling the steering wheel off and he advised to just insert a small screw driver where the hazard switch is on the column to access that small button you depress to release the cylinder. Thought I post this in case anyone with a 1973 runs into this situation. I’m not sure if the 71 or 72 is the same way.