LED Tail lights

Crossing my fingers on freight cost and delivery time!

I just received a large shipment that was quick to the US, but stuck in port for a month and a half. Hopefully things will clear up soon.

I am paying for air freight to my door so hopefully it will not take long.

Best LEDs I’ve bought. Used on 68,69 , car trailer, and small trailer even. Super bright and still a great price!

Besides the expense, here’s another freaky fact about our 70s and lighting. After getting the solid state unit and all the WCCC plasma bulbs in, everything was superbright and worked great…except one thing: my hazards.

I researched high and low for the solution. Folks said, “Oh, you need a new turn signal switch”. They asked if I replaced hazard can you need the dash. “Both of them??”

Finally, none other than Vic Yarberry himself had the answer. As it turns out, he said…about half of the 70s left Dearborn with the hazard socket wired backwards. Once I reversed the red and the red/white wires, not only did I have hazards - but they’re sequenced from inboard out!

haa… thats a great little nugget of info. I will have to look at my red/red-white wires!
Agreed, these lights are great. I put all WCCC LED in the 67, and love it.

Gee, if only Don knew some one that imported from China on a regular basis… maybe some one that knows Cougars? LOL! When you get the price for air freight let me know and I’ll get them on a container for you.

Yikes… Customers have been patient to wait this long, if I waited another year for a can to show some might not be with us! The cost to air freight something as tiny as a bulb equates to pennies per bulb.

Can’t think of anyone that fits that description…tee hee!
On the other hand, I get spam/e-mails from Chinese companies at least once a day for all sorts of electrical stuff. I refuse to deal with any vendor that cold-calls me (equivalent to spam e-mails).

Will the new bulbs work with the original sequencer? If I heard correctly you had that fixed, but then your source dried up. My car still has the original sequencer in good condition, so I don’t want to convert to solid state.

They will in fact work right out of the box but we highly recommend you change the relay under the dash to ensure your dash indicators work properly. Most 67 and 68’s need this part replaced at this late date regardless if you go LED or not.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/15514-Relay-Turn-Signal-K-7-13A366-Repro-1967-Mercury-Cougar.html?sessionthemeid=26

Don,
I have a similar situation to HatTrick in that my original sequencer (69 non-motor driven version) is working fine. Will these bulbs pull enough current to activate it? Will I need to change the flasher cans under the dash?

I’ve changed almost all my interior lights to LED (still need to do heater, radio, shifter) and they are awesome. The really bright ones draw enough current that the original dimmer works quite well.

Thanks for confirming, Don. I was planning on changing the relay too, but only doing the taillights and front turn to start. I’m not taking my dash apart yet, so I’ll do the interior another time.

The chart listed on our site shows what you need to purchase for each year, click here. Plasma LED - 1157 Bulb - RED - 6 Pack - New ~ 1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar / 1967 - 1973 Ford Mustang ( 1967 Mercury Cougar, 1968 Mercury Cougar, 1969 Mercury Cougar, 1970 Mercury Cougar, 1971 Mercury Cougar, 1972 Mercury Cougar, 1973 Mercury Cougar, 1967 Ford Mustang, 1968 Ford Mustang, 1969 Ford Mustang, 1970 Ford Mustang, 1971 Ford Mustang, 1972 Ford Mustang, 1973 Ford Mustang, Non-Ford/Mercury, Other Ford/Mercury ) at West Coast Classic Cougar :: The Definitive 1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar Parts Source

Don, before you started carrying the plasma LED , I bought a new board to replace the original in trunk and the signal relay, will this board work with the new LED’s or do I need yet another new board? 69 Cougar.

Its worth a try but something tells me it will not interface perfectly.

If it’s one of Vic’s boards, he can tell you if you shoot him an email with the numbers on the board.

Thank you, it is one of Vic’s boards’ , now see if I can find his email. :pray: