Looking to buy a 71-73, what to look for

The large hose coming up from the exhaust manifold will come off. All you need to do is pull up on it and it should slide right off. The stripped hose that goes to the canister can be just disconnected from the canister and put the hose away for safe keeping. As for the PCV hose, there are small aftermarket mini filters to put on the the passenger side rear valve cover. This will allow air flow and not be a problem with just an open hole. They look like a small mini air cleaner no bigger than 2 inches in diameter. As for the mirror, there were remote mirrors for cougar and LTD in I think 1974 to 78 and would have been reachable around the center of the dash. The mirror you have, does the outer casing look like the right mirror, but the glass is wrong? You can remove it, but not sure if you still have something missing for the new mirror to mount to. I will look to see if I have one laying around to compare with yours. 1971 to 73 did not come with a remote mirror originally. I would be willing to buy the cable from you if it still has the end down in the door and isn’t seized.

Im glad you were able to get the Emblem for the grill, that is a blessing!!

The control for a passenger side remote mirror isn’t on the door like the driver’s side, its in the dash. They were a popular accessory item in the '70s. Perhaps what you have there is someone’s failed attempt to install one, who knows? If you’re very sure the control mechanism is already gone, then I guess it won’t hurt anything to cut the cables. But I’m still not sure why you want to. Its certainly not necessary in order to replace a lens, which is what you linked to. Just be aware that if the head of the mirror doesn’t fit the base correctly, replacing the lens won’t have any effect.
Its hard to see just what the problem is from the picture, but if things aren’t fitting and lining up, its more likely the mirror base is wrong than the mirror head. The heads are basically all the same, its the bases that vary from one application to another. (Unless someone did put a driver’s side mirror head on the passenger side. But I’m not sure that’s even possible.)

Not that you asked for this advice, but when I get a new car I have learned to sort everything out first, get it running and driving and everything working, and then start making modifications… Sort of the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” thing in reverse: “If its broke, fix it”. And if at all possible, never cut anything. Disassemble things the way they were put together and save everything. The easy to cut parts were easy for everyone to cut and now they are incredibly scarce. Part of what made this car desirable was that it had not been molested very much. If you decide to sell it later, it will be worth more and much easier to sell if you can return it to the way it was when you bought it.

The heat riser tube is what comes off the exhaust manifold and goes to the bottom of the original air cleaner snorkle. If you will be driving the car in colder weather it would be nice to have this working.

My guess on the passenger side mirror is that it is a salvage yard special and is not original to the car. If you purchase(d) a Marti report it will tell you if the car originally had a passenger side sport mirror. From the factory a passenger side mirror would not have been cable controled. I would suggest seeing if the 2 screws holding the mirror to the car will come out. If so remove them and pull the mirror away from the car so you can see what numbers are cast into the underside of the base. Post what you find and that will tell us. Also if it does come off the door see how far you can pull it off. That should tell you if the cables have already been cut or if the control knob is stil on the end.

As for the rear deck speakers what you describe sounds like it is aftermarket. How they come apart I could not tell you. Perhaps post a photo of them, that might help someone see something.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Well I ended up putting the stock air cleaner back on as the 14" Edlebrock was hitting the throttle rod and causing it to stick. I got the baffles under the rear speakers off, the look stock as they were very old and attached to the speaker mounting hardware. I’ll keep digging around and see if I can figure out whats up with this mirror, I posted the Marti Report a few pages back and it didn’t say anything about a remote mirror.

Yeah, the remote mirror is probably off another car. It wasn’t unusual to retrofit them back in the day. It isn’t a big job if the contours of the mirror bases are similar. Sounds like the one on your car must not have been a real close match, which would explain why you can’t get the lens angled correctly. More pictures would be a big help.
Do you see control cables running from the door to the car body in the hinge area? If so, it sounds like someone was trying to make the remote mirror functional. The control end is probably stuffed up under the dash somewhere. If not, look inside the door, and find out if the control end is still on the cables. If its still intact, don’t cut the cables. The mirror unit has value if the pieces are there. You won’t hurt anything by cutting it shorter if its already been cut further down. But based on what I’ve read so far, it sounds like you’re probably going to need a whole different mirror assembly that fits your car better.

The Marti report will not say anything about a remote passenger side mirror, but it may state a sport mirror for the passenger side.

Looks like you were right. The Cat went in for her first repair yesterday. I noticed while driving back from the bank to finish registration stuff that the brakes were getting spongy, then the light came on. Checked the MC and the back reservoir was completely empty. I took the car in and the shop said the MC was leaking, he could replace it but he also noticed that the bleeder valves were broken so he had to replace them as well. He also noticed that I would probably need new front calipers and rear drum shoes in the near future :confused: . Should be out of the shop this afternoon. so looks like I have a list ahead of me of things to take care of before I can get mod happy. This repair cost me 500 bucks, I had to sell one of my telecasters :frowning:

That’s a bummer. But the good news is that front brake pads/calipers and rear shoes are pretty inexpensive, and replacing them are easy jobs that you can do yourself with basic tools.

$760 later, she’s finally back on the road. Now to get these windows fixed before the gorgeous Alabama spring weather.

Just wondering about your grill, is it upside down? The bottom of the grill has a spot to bolt to the stone guard, if that is sticking up, it’s upside down.

Yea thats usually the way it happens, I have my 2 lists going, what I need to do and what I want to do. The need to do usually gets bigger as I run into things I need to address while i’m doing something else. At least it was only a Tele :poke: Glad the transport stress is over and you got the Cat out and about :smoke:

Nope, Its bolted down at the bottom, and two screws on each side. Everywhere I go people stare at my car now :ylsuper: