Lost rear hazards

I purchased this item

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SM44F-Turn-Signal-Switch-w-Fixed-Wheel-Mustang-Cougar-Fairlane-Torino/262957474254?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3Dc4cae3507a9845d48a0d84556f212e66%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D252883261593

The Shee-Mar SM44F is the correct turn signal switch for your car.

On the turn signal cam, the white plastic piece on the other side of the turn signal switch has 2 wires a blue wire and a green wire. The turn signal cam as it has two metal ears, one for powering the turn signals (Blue wire) and another set of ears (Green wire) for the brake circuit. These ears feed the Green-Orange and Orange-Blue wires. Step on the brakes and measure the voltage on this green wire.

The fact that brakes worked when you powered the Green-Orange or Orange-Blue wires separately, indicates to me that the green wire is not connected in the switch correctly.

Coach Jack

I think you found it!!

Looks to me that the green wire at the turn signal cam is getting power when brake is pressed, but the center rivet is not powered!
If I press my Meter and force the green wire to make contact with the rivet, I get brake lights and hazzards

No so fast

Ok, here’s what’s going on. Unless I press on the rivet and get a ground signal, nothing works. No ground, no brake lights or hazzard
Does this make sense??

The problem is that the connections are loose at the damn rivet. See Buddy’s post #12 in this link. http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?60594-Help.-Brake-lights-are-melting-turn-signal-switch.&highlight=turn+signal+switch

So you can either try and “mash” the rivet to fix this yourself or you can contact She-mar and explain to them your issue and see if they will send you a replacement switch.

BTW, there are NO ground connections in the turn signal switch!!!

Coach Jack

Yes, the rivet isn’t secured. But even if I mash it does make a good connection. Also, if I power the rivet, it still will not work unless I push on it and get a ground signal, then brakes and hazzards work. Will try to make video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VMhU2cwiZQ

The ground that you are measuring is from the circuit thru the taillight bulbs to GROUND!!! Again there are no wires that are ground wires in the turn signal switch. The blue wires in the emergency switch connector that you say has nothing will have nothing until you turn on the ignition switch. The blue wire will then have power from the turn signal flasher.

Your brakes work when you press on the rivet to"ground" because you are forcing the rivet and wires together making a good connection.

I don’t know what else to tell you other than to remove the damn switch and get a new one and OHM out the connections first before you go through the process of reinstalling the switch.

Coach Jack

Ok Jack
Thank you very much for your patience
I will replace the Damm switch
Alex

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve run across crimped pins that do not have continuity, simply because the crimp has loosened over time. I can re-crimp the pin and it’ll be good for another 10+ years. This is exactly the situation with your rivet head, in that the rivet crimp is not tight enough to create continuity across all of the contacts.

I’ve been restoring harnesses for 9 years now, and this is the most common problem (other than previous owners butchery) I run across. Although your turn signal is relatively new, the quality of the crimps or rivets is not top-notch.

The company got back to first thing this morning, sending replacement out today.
Alex