MUST READ! It's Time! Site migration is about to begin!

It kind of complicated but spaces don’t work as characters in a user name field. If they did you could create a user name of just spaces. So spaces have to be turned into something that can be seen. I don’t know when this occurred but it wasn’t anything that singled you out or gave your user name to anyone else. I think I recall this happening before the site change but I could be wrong. Anyway glad to see you back since it’s been 4 years since you last logged in.

Staying with the old software was really not an option as it is rapidly moving toward obsolescence. Once you get used to it I think you will find it’s much easier to use. You can see how your post looks in real time and pictures are super easy.

Holy Moley! haven’t been around for a while! It sure is all new.

Funny to read this, makes me think of myself and Microsoft: I want my Windows XP! Heck I’m still holding Windows 7 on one of my computers!

ha ha ha. I’m still using Windows 7 ( home premium ) on this laptop, a SONY VAIO - works fine for most things ( even banking and other secured sites ). The Cougar Community is just fine, including linking web-sites and inserting images - even those cut and paste or screen captured from the internet ). I only changed my old Del with Windows XP ( an excellent program with it’s final updates ) last year to a new Del with Windows 11. No issues, not too steep a learning curve - Windows 11 ‘behaves’ like a lot of cell phone type programs and apps. The copy and paste feature / screen capture is better on Windows 11, but the Paint app has had some issues and updates haven’t improved its user ‘friendliness’ ( specifically the erasure function doesn’t leave a white background, just a gray checkerboard pattern. There is a workaround but it really is a PITA.

I didn’t even think you could get XP to work anymore; 7 Home Premium is starting to lag - mostly driver updates. What gets me is they keep pushing for “new”, Windows 8 :hot_face: Windows 10, Windows 11 - without fixing the prior versions. We are caught in a cycle of ineptitude…and don’t even say “cellphone” in my presence!

7 Pro or 7 Enterprise will still allow you to do most online computing, as I have all iterations of Windows back to '98 Second Ed. I have an old laptop (HP DV7/ Win 7 Pro/ Intel 7) that performs moderately well on the internet. I just purchased a Lenovo / Win 11 Home / Intel 5, and while it works well, it’s nothing to write home about. I haven’t done any benchmarks, but the speed difference is negligible. By the way, I am restoring a '72 XR/7 droptop. All mechanicals are done, just starting a complete rewiring/ gauges/ senders, etc. Have fun!

My first post will be. Thank you for your efforts, time involved and any money spent to provide a website for fellow cougar enthusiasts to gather. I’m a bored and broken down old man and I’m just now checking out the site. Sincerely, Old-school Joe

1 Like