Oil Pressure sending unit connection 68 XR7

Another thing - 1967 XR-7 has a spade type connector on the OP sender. The 1968 OP sender has a #10 stud type connector. Sounds like you have a lot of issues.

thanks Royce. This Cougar is always angry with me :slight_smile: and for sure some wiring issues. There’s clearly been modification done to the dash to feed harness at some point (there are wire nutted wires abound). Perhaps I should just buy a proper harness and at least be able to see the correct wires. I just worry that if I fix this that something else will unravel …

That caught my eye immediately when I read the original thread. An oil pressure sending unit with a spade lead is typically a sending unit for an indicator lamp and not a gauge. As Royce indicates, there are some serious discrepancies here…

That’s not the case at all and it isn’t what I said or meant. The 1967 versions use a spade connection whether gage or idiot lamp.

Meanwhile the 1968 and later versions use a #10-32 stud either version.

That way the same wiring harness is used for either year…

And that is why I said “typically” the spade lead is for an indicator lamp sending unit.

Folks, I am extremely knowledgeable about Mustang wiring, and although there are differences between Mustang and Cougars, there are more similarities than differences. I try to be as careful as I can when responding to Cougar wiring and electrical systems.

Any one else here think Another Major F up when you see AMF? Probably and excellent part but …

Thanks everyone!

btw when I look at the AMF website (cool site btw) … I only can find this version New Engine Oil Pressure Switch Sender With Light for Ford Bronco 350 - PS149 … specs say it’s a fit for the 68 XR7 Cougar but for the idiot light version. I can’t find the part @Royce that you shared for the full gauge flavor. Do you have the link for that?

OP sender 1968 XR-7

Thanks Royce. the ebay compatibility gizmo says its for 73 on up for the link you shared… is that correct/compatible?

Should be the same sender for 1968 - 89 Cougar with gage. Here’s another one:

Thanks!

I think you need to look at the 1967 / 68 Mustang harnesses. When you do you will find the situation is identical to Cougar, as are the senders for the oil pressure. Totally different harnesses and senders for 1967.

Oil Pressure sending unit connection 68 XR7 - #11 by Midlife

hi! Just thought I’d circle back … I installed the proper sending unit … and also ordered the proper harness. probably don’t need the harness now … but since I got it I might as well. In the interim I used my not so proper harness, connected the mystery 9.6v lead to the new unit and poof the gauge came to life and started to report pressure readings! So far I have the temp gauge working, the speedometer … now the oil pressure gauge but alas no tachometer yet. Car runs so I wonder if someone just bypassed it along the line. Where should the lead connect in the engine bay?

What lead?

There are 2 leads for the factory tach (3 if aftermarket). There will be a male (single wire, pink resistor wire) and a female (2 wires, red/green and red/yellow) separate bullet connectors coming from the main harness near the ignition switch. The tach probably has a male/female molded pair.

1 Like

None of the tachometer leads connect anywhere under the hood. They can be seen by removing the three screws that secure the ash tray surround to the dash.

1 Like

Thank you… I have to take a look as it’s a factory tachometer. If the tach isn’t working, but the car starts, is it possible the PO just bypassed the tach altogether?

Thanks Royce. My interior is fairly gutted so I can see everything… arguably too many things :frowning: . I thought for some reason the tach was pulling signal off the coil , hence my question about routing in the engine bay.

the wiring under, around and behind the dash has been butchered at different points in this car’s life. I’m trying to work my way down from the gauges… There are no interior lights working at all … the overhead console does nothing… horn doesn’t honk. The fusebox is just not healthy .