Question: hole in floor in 69 Cougar XR7

I have a 69 Cougar XR7 convertible. It was originally built with a 351 Windsor and an AMX automatic transmission. Looking down through the bezel of the shifter I see there is a big hole in the floor. I can see the transmission. Should there be a rubber plug there? If so - what is the name of the rubber plug? Thanks, Tim

Does it still have the factory shifter?

Looking down does the base of the housing look like this?

If so they you may be missing this;

I hope this helps you.

Hi Neal,
Thanks very much for the information. It is very helpful. One other question. Once you get that access plug do you insert it from the top down or from the bottom up?
Thanks again, Tim

Usually when dealing with that plug you would remove the shifter unit from the car and do it from the under side. I don’t think you can do it from above and in the car the underside may not be very assessable with the transmission in the car.

This can me easily replaced w/everything in car. Might as well replace the bushings. One from inside the Cat & the other from under the Cat.

Thank you very much for your information, cougar bill. I will give it a try.