Rear leaf spring replacement, what else do I need?

Wow Mike aren’t you scared of CO poisoning with the exhaust letting out underneath the car like that? I would be afraid of sitting at stoplights for too long, and stop and go traffic I wouldn’t even try it. Are you planning to get some proper exhaust pipes on there?

Update; my new shock absorbers arrived today, they are Drake ones. (thanks to WCCC for speedy delivery). I had to look at the front ones a few times, I can’t beleive how small they are. But I do have some beefy coil springs up front. Compared to the coilover suspension on my drag car they look like toothpicks :laughing:

I had all the brakes and suspension tested at a Goverment testing station last week. They did each shock independently and my right front was at 55% ,left front 74% and both rear around 77% (bounce and rebound test)

Brakes was very good.

Thanks for all the advise, tips and info so far everybody, much appreciated :ylsuper: :beerchug:

And please continue sharing your leaf spring experiences.

LOL! YES, I am! It does get a bit stinky if I sit and idle for long, so I try not to do that. I also keep the vents and windows open if at all possible. It’s on my “To Do” list to plumb the exhaust the rest of the way back :slight_smile:

Currently my daughter is forbidden from riding in it ,although truthfully she has shown little interest except to marvel at the window cranks - a mysterious artifact of a bygone automotive era!
Molly: “So you turn that handle? How far do you have to turn it?”
Me: “You turn it all the way until it stops, kiddo.”
Molly: “It sure is hard to turn!”
Me: “That’s because the grease is old. I’m gonna fix that.”
Molly: “You sure have alot of things to fix!”
Me: “Yes I do…”
Molly: “I like Mom’s car better.”
Me: …

That’s hysterical Mike :smoke:

Currently my daughter is forbidden from riding in it ,although truthfully she has shown little interest except to marvel at the window cranks - a mysterious artifact of a bygone automotive era!
Molly: “So you turn that handle? How far do you have to turn it?”
Me: “You turn it all the way until it stops, kiddo.”
Molly: “It sure is hard to turn!”
Me: “That’s because the grease is old. I’m gonna fix that.”
Molly: “You sure have alot of things to fix!”
Me: “Yes I do…”
Molly: “I like Mom’s car better.”
Me: …

Mike, I just had to read that to my wife, that is just so funny. The air of innocence. :laughing:

Well, took a look under the car this weekend. Didn’t have time to fiddle much, but this was somewhat enlightening…

Not sure why you would cut the end off the rubber nubbin on one side and not both. Also some obvious rubbing going on with the driver’s side ~ I’m guessing that is directly related to my “clankity” noise when I go over bumps.

Car is currently up on jack stands so I can crawl around under there and check things out a bit. I also noted that there is a nut & washer for one of the mounting bolts that is hung up on part of the traction bar. It is tightened down, but it isn’t fitted properly / sitting where it is supposed to be.

EDIT: I was able to find original installation instructions on the Lakewood site, so I should be able to make sure they are on there correctly. Also found replacement snubbers easily available. That will hopefully get me by until I can get the new suspension bits worked into the budget :slight_smile:

EDIT2: Ok, read up some more and I learned that cutting down the snubbers can be a proper adjustment.

Driver’s Side;

Passenger’s Side;