Reassembly after the body work is done

After 5 yrs in various body shops my 71 XR-7 Convertible body-work is now complete. It was a rotisserie job with every blemish removed and no detail over looked. The Black paint is beautiful!!! We’re now ready to reassemble the car. Over the years I’ve learned a lot from WCCC and some of the folks on this and other forums or shops. I’m reaching out for some CCC advice and help. During restoration original parts were stored or restored and many new parts were acquired. The mechanical parts, engine, trans, and suspension were refurbished or rebuilt. All bright work is ready. The interior is mostly original, but needs to have both door panels refurbished. We have 99% of the parts needed to rebuild this car. Some are NOS and some are “finds” from great meetings all over the place. My body man is fantastic, but he is a body man. I’m going to try and put this car together mostly myself. My question is I’m looking for a MENTOR. Anyone know of someone who is good at putting cars back together that can give virtual or physical assistance?

There are a lot of people here that can help. You might want to let us know what part of the world your in. You may find somebody close to you that can help.
You might like to look over my experience with a light freshening up of my 71 XR-7 hard top. Check out this thread.

https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/wow-up-beat-cloth-and-vinyl-100-original-paint-71-xr7/5160/1

Neal gave 2 good pointers, let people know where your at and give his thread a looksy. I would start a new thread ( WITH PICTURES) so people can follow the build, and give suggestions along the way. Make a plan for starting, your going to have speed bumps and get sidetracked but a plan always helps. Good Luck and keep us posted :smoke:

Any user of this forum can edit their profile and add a location so it appears in the upper right of every post.
Click on your user ID below the DONATE button in the upper right of the screen, click “Profile” and have at it.

Geographically, I’m east of Columbus, OH on the Ohio River at Marietta, OH/Parkersburg, WV on I-77 north and south.

That and post pictures of where you’re at on the car right now. If it’s down to a bare shell, start with brake lines and wiring first. Get as much of the dash wiring in as possible. Then I would go to suspension.
Don’t put the front fenders and hood on until you get all the engine bugs corrected. Makes working on it much easier and you don’t scratch the paint.

Looks great… I’m restoring a 71 myself!
I would start with anything that needs to go thru the firewall first… heater case, booster, etc then brake, fuel lines etc.
get the engine compartment area done, install steering and front suspension, rear suspension etc. install the finished drivetrain after it’s on its wheels.
Try to keep the car on the rotisserie as long as possible…
Don’t install the sheet metal until it’s mostly together and running…
Top and interior last.
This forum is a good source of information. Don’t waste your time with help from FB lol.
Also the 7173 mustangs forum is good for 71-73 specific information. The majority of the activity here is related to the 67-70 cars.
Neal Jacobson/Badcatt had a thread here a few years ago on the rehab of his very original 71… it has a lot of detailed pictures of an original car to give you an idea of how things should look.
Jim

Great pictures, who doesn’t luv a black phat cat lol. Looking forward to watching the build and even learning a few things in the process :smoke:

Just in case you missed the other 71 build going on :smoke: