Replacing the front valance with a fiberglass repro, reroute parking lamp ground wires?

Hi all,
I’m replacing my front valance on my 69 XR7 with a fiberglass piece. I also picked up new parking lamp housings as mine were shot and over sprayed.

I assume I now need to build additional little leads to ground the parking lamps elsewhere to the body, as they previously were grounded to the metal mounting brackets of the original valance. Is that correct?

Correct. Use a wire at least as large as the wires feeding the lamps, and connect it from the metal case of the lamp housing to a metal ground.

Each parking lamp / turn signal assembly on your car has a three prong connector which provides a ground to the housing, a power wire for the parking lamp, and a power wire for the turn signal / emergency flasher filament.

As such, no additional ground is desired or needed. The lamps will work perfectly with no valance installed as long as the connector is plugged in.

I thought the three wire turn signal harness (including ground) started in 1970. I stand corrected.

The '67 and '68 Cougar parking lamp housings are also grounded and have the three pin connectors. So do '65 - '70 Mustangs.

1969 front park lights do have a separate ground wire that ends in a ring terminal.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

The ring terminal on the ground wire goes to one of the mounting studs for the parking lamp unit. Just run an additional wire from there (both sides) to a spot on the inner fender. Use crimp-on ring terminals at each end of the wire and a sheet metal screw to hold in place.

What he said. 1969 front parking lights are a unique set.

Curious - why are you advocating adding a redundant and unnecessary wire when each lamp already has a dedicated ground wire and the valance is not used as a ground in the circuit?

OK, thats what I was thinking for 1969 as well. So if the factory ground wire relies on the mounting stud on the valence for its ground, it will indeed need extended to metal for a fiberglass valence.

This is not the case at all. There is a ring grounding each lamp socket contained in the three wire harness. It relies in no way upon the valance at all. Each lamp has an individual, dedicated ground wire.

[quote=“, post:11, topic:15709”]
This is not the case at all. There is a ring grounding each lamp socket contained in the three wire harness. It relies in no way upon the valance at all. Each lamp has an individual, dedicated ground wire.

\

[quote=Calicat post_id=150984 time=1651673495 user_id=5657]

[quote=badcatt post_id=150972 time=1651634785 user_id=324]

This is true for three wire harnesses. But didn’t some of the 69/70 parking light assemblies use a two wire harness? My Dec 69 build has the three wire harness, but I think it might have changed somewhere along the way. There is some info here if you scroll down to Front Turn Signal Lights:

https://www.deadnutson.com/1969-70-factoids-1/

Edit - link references Mustang parking lights, not Cougar

[quote=“, post:12, topic:15709”]

\

[quote=Calicat post_id=150984 time=1651673495 user_id=5657]

I’m going to back peddle a little here. It has been a long time since I worked with the 69 housings. Not so long since I have has Mustang and Maverick/Comet units. The alter have a 2 wire connector and I was confusing them with the 69 Cougar one. As we can see in the picture below…

The ground wire comes from the car side of the harness, not the parking light side. You do not need to add a ground wire. I apologize for the confusion.
Others could have posted this picture to back their opinions and saved a lot of electrons.

True. But again, that picture shows a three wire harness. Apparently there are two wire versions for 70 out there too, and these would need grounded to the valence.

Edit - the referenced link is for Mustangs, so there might not be a two wire version park light for Cougars. Thought I remembered seeing one, but could be wrong. Bottom line for OP, Royce is correct that no additional ground is needed if your harness has three wires - and all Cougars apparently do.

https://www.deadnutson.com/1969-70-factoids-1/

Cougars and Shelby Mustangs use the three wire harness. The 69 - 70 Shelbys had to because they had a fiberglass front valance.

I hate to through gas on a dumpster fire, but. The 3 cars below used the same Bezel, lenses(though the Comet GT is Amber) and housing for what was called “Driving lights” or Sport lamps.
1970 Mach 1

1971 Maverick Grabber

1971 Comet GT

from the 1971 Mustang/Cougar wiring diagrams showing the 70 Mach 1 wiring.

Note, they are called “Sport lamps” noted as Model 63C only, and the turn signal under the bumper only has 2 wires using the housing to bumper to body as the ground. Model 63C is for Mach 1 Mustangs. I think Royce knows that 1970 Shelby’s are re VINed 69s.

Back to the OPs question, I now do not(as stated above) think you need to add a ground wire. However, if the lights do not work then try adding one.

So the ground comes from the harness and the ring connector just goes to the parking lamp housing via one of the mounting studs/nuts? Seems logical! I’ll give it a try that way.

[quote=“, post:13, topic:15709”]

[quote=“, post:12, topic:15709”]

\

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate anyone who took the time to respond. We’ll get there!

Thanks Neal - at least I’m not losing my mind! I was pretty sure I had seen two wire versions somewhere. Those must be the 2 wire turn signals for 70 and later referred to by the Dead Nuts On link. Not used on Cougars though.