Scottsdale Auction Week 2020 - Fantasy Bid

$35,500

$56,000.

I’ll be heading for the Mecum auction this year because of the Bullitt car being sold. I’ve been involved with Bullitt stuff for about the last 10 years and the group that holds the Bullitt Nationals is having a get together there. We’re scheduled to have supper with Sean Kiernan (current owner of the car), along with Kevin Marti, John Clor and a few others. It should be a fun time. I’m curious to see how much it actually brings.

$36,000

What a perfect car to speculate on! Based on the fact that you would have to purchase a $4000 Mustang parts car, spend $8000 on a convertible conversion, start with a solid $10,000 car, put together a $12,000 drive-train, spend $10,000 on a paint job and then tie it all together this could be a $100k car to build real easy. I recently had someone very interested in mine and when I sat down with him and told him I was not really looking to sell and showed what I had into my yet to be assembled project, I would need $100k. He told me that did not dissuade him in the least. In the in end we decided it was not the best platform for him considering the amount of customization he wanted. Those of you bidding $50k and under should revise your bids upward as I am a buyer anywhere in the “give-away” price zone. Unlike many heavily modified cars that have a limited appeal, MANY folks will be interested in this tastefully done high quality build.
evert.jpg
Fortunately I am pals with the head guy at Steve’s so I did not have to pay the $45k for the conversion as Dave Brost did it after hours.

http://www.stevesautorestorations.com/

Don,

The write for this car was weak. Maybe they should get you to do the write ups for them. My issue is the custom rag top. I don’t think that is a plus. That and I am cheap and this is for fun.

If the convertible option package is worth 2 or 3x what a coupe is worth on a Mustang then it stands to reason it could be worth that on a Cougar. Since there were no less than 20 of these done over the years with a strong sales record when they change hands it, stands to reason there could be some strong interest in this car. The write up is less important than the vibe at the time it crosses the block.

After reading Don’s post about his Convertible conversion, I think I’m going to go out on a limb and speculate it will bring $92,500.00

I’ll stick with my bid.

I think if it was done GT-E style like Don’s or in a flashier color it would do better at B-J.

The few times I been to Mecum here in Kansas City. I have seen too many cars cross that block without the right person there, get low balled. But they are selling for a reason. I bought my cougar for half the initial asking price it was listed for about a year. It bounced around at different web sites. I just watched it. It just got to a price I had to buy it.

Historically very few quality cars have slipped through Jan BJ below market value. Very few of the Cougars that have gone through made me say “wish I was there when that went over the block”. All the other auctions, yes, bargains are to be had all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcvCrLEywjc

$39,500

I am only guessing but my bid is $69,500. It looks to be a quality conversion.

I guess it’s possible there will be two guys in the room that just have to have this car. But I don’t really see it as having a very broad appeal. If it were a full on custom then maybe. But this is really a restomod, from what I’ve seen they don’t tend to bring big dollars. I think you have to already like Cougars to appreciate this. It does appear to be well done. I’ll guess $64,000.

$61000. Nicely done, but Cougars still don’t get the love they should from collectors.

That conversion is amazing. Wish it was my car! I’m going to say $87,000

I’ll guess the customization hurts it some & it may have been better off as close to original as possible (especially since a convertible wasn’t available that year)…

$28,500

I’ll bet the 69 Eliminator gets at least 2-3x that

Why oh why oh why didn’t they replace the upper radiator hose with an OEM or repro??! I’d bet the return on investment for that would be 1000%.

A correctly done conversion will easily double the price if previous sales are any indication.

I have lusted over this car. I think he did it exactly the way that I would have wanted it. It was an ROTM in 2016 and I didn’t get much from the owner back then so the write up is not very informative, and many pics are missing now.

https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/the-march-2016-ride-of-the-month-is-malcolm-mcmillans-67-vert-custom/5888/1

Maybe I can find those images and fix the write up…