Well, finally had enough of that tired old C4 leaking all over my garage. So out it goes…


In it’s place will be fresh rebuild 3.35 ratio V8-spec WC T5. I also managed to track down one of the older-style Hurst shifter bases. I had one of these in a fox body and I loved the way it shifted. The body of the shifter is also very compact compared to the ones with the big collar around the shift lever, so it may require less trimming of the floor:

I put in a freshly resurfaced 157-tooth 28 in-oz imbalance steel flywheel, Ford roller pilot bearing, McLeod StreetPro clutch kit and a 87-93 style block plate. There seems to be mixed opinions on whether to use thread sealer or loctite on the flywheel bolts. Since the cranks on older Windsor V8s have blind holes for the flywheel, I just used loctite. Even if the crank had thru-holes I’d probably still lean towards using loctite.


I also got the MDL hydraulic slave cylinder installed and mocked up on the OEM Ford T5 bellhousing I’m using. Just to keep everything fresh I put a new Ford OEM clutch fork and pivot stud in. I was going to use the Ford throwout bearing, but the McLeod one that came with the clutch looked to be a higher quality piece so used that instead. Once I got the bellhousing mounted I checked it for runout with a dial indicator and it was dead on perfect. Less than .001" runout all around, so no need to mess with offset dowel pins or anything thankfully.

1 Like