Team Eliminator in The Great Race 2024

Very nice. Really appreciated getting the daily run down- had to have been difficult after a long day. Tough event and great job as 1st timers. You should be proud of your aces and finish!

1 Like

Congrats on completing the race, and for taking us along for the ride ! I haven’t worn my T-shirt yet. I was hoping to wear the shirt when you guys got to Montgomery NY, close to where my daughter lives. I wasn’t able to get up there in time. Again, thanks for taking us along !

Well done to both of you. I’m glad the car held up well. I can totally relate to your adventure as I had participated in many rally’s some 40+ years ago in my cougar when I was just 18. There were people in the rally that had the on board clocks n stuff and they were within seconds at the check points. Us… not so much but we were just seat of the pants rallyers and it was a ton of fun. They were a Saturday night format that took us through industrial complexes and such so we stayed out of mainstream traffic. What a blast those days were. So glad you guys made it to the end!!! It was a good read!!!

One last update.
On the way home, we made a quick stop at Hemmings in Bennington, Vermont for some pics.

Dave and I got to my place around 2 today. Dave left pretty quick as he was also anxious to get home.
Out of 140 cars, we finished 81st. I suspect if we did not have a speedometer calibration problem on the final day, we would have scored around 60-ish. Live and learn and try for a better score next time.
It feels good to be home…but I am already thinking about next time.
thanks and see ya soon!
Mark

5 Likes

I hope you guys write up an article for your local club and the CCOA. It may inspire others to drive their cats and participate in more events. I am inspired to bring back a driving event that we used to host for many years. It attracted a lot of car people, and not just from our Cougar club.

1 Like

Congrats to both you and Dave. I know that much driving is difficult in a new car, let alone one that is 55 years old. Well Done!!!

Someone in Purcellville told us that 22 cars had dropped out after day 2, so completing the full race makes you both winners!!!

Mark, you did an awesome job prepping the car and having it ready for the long days and temps.

Again, congrats to you both…

Ken

1 Like

Well done! I bet it surprises a lot of people to know how comfortable and reliable these cars are. The tires, suspension, and even seats, are a lot more forgiving than most new SUV’s, in my experience!

Glad you guys were able to finish, and congratulations! Great job, and thank you for sharing all the pics and stories. =)

1 Like

Just received my new Hagerty magazine and Hemmings is already advertising next years race. Minnesota to South Carolina

1 Like

I hope they start - or at least pass through - Duluth. Northern terminus of I-35.

1 Like

Mark, Thanks for taking us along on the adventure.