The National Database Project

Bill I don’t understand the time requirement you mention. If it’s a database then it could easily be set up in a way where a user could type a VIN on a web page and the web page could tell them whatever info the database has about that VIN, with zero time investment required from the keeper of the database on a query by query basis. The time consuming part would be approving data that users submit, to ensure that it’s all good data and not Al Bundy submitting VINs like P3GGYK1LLR and whatnot. And if the volume is high enough, then maybe dealing with bandwidth issues, though a good web host should take care of all that stuff for you really.

As far as the confidentiality thing, couldn’t possibly be easier. The table gets a field called “PUBLIC”, if that field is set to false, then any queries related to your VIN just return an acknowledgement that the VIN is in the registry but it’s private info. And when people enter new vehicles on the associated web form, there is a selection for public or private. Total piece of cake.

And I apologize if what I’m describing is exactly what the web pages already do. I can’t tell what the current implementation is, as both links are dead at this point, as mentioned previously in the thread

Links on the CCOA site have been rearranged over the last couple of months as part of a website remodeling project that is still in process. Start here for registry stuff: http://www.cougarclub.org/registry.htm.

Mr Eos, I would like to compliment you and the entire team at CCOA on the web site. it is a fantastic improvement. BRAVO! I had not seen the summary sheet until today. Good stuff.

TMH, what you are describing is, to some degree, what I am suggesting. There are a few problems though that deserve consideration. If every car were submitted by the owner, then it would be easy to have the check off for public as you suggest. But that is not the case. The data has come in from many different sources. While '68 and later cars have their VIN numbers out in plain sight, the '67’s do not. Some contend that since the VIN is required to be clearly visible that this is public information. But the '67’s did not have a “public” VIN. What does that mean?

I have also heard the argument that there are two sides to the coin: owner information, and vehicle information. And that the owner information deserves a higher level of privacy, and the vehicle information is essentially public. However some DMV offices don’t agree with that. They will dispense ownership information with either a tag number or VIN. Some will supply entire lists of owners by vehicle type. We know that given the VIN you can get the complete original build statistics from Marti Autoworks. The data base that contains those numbers is property of Ford motor Company and Marti is licensed to access the data base and charge for doing so. However the parameters of any particular car are not owned by Ford, just the data base that lists them all. This is the basis for collecting the data in the CCOA data base to begin with. So we have sort of a mixed bag. It is also important to respect the efforts of those who have collected and maintained the data as well.

I have also updated the links in the thread to match the new locations on the CCOA site. If any one finds any other dead links, of any sort, please let Jay and I know.

I concur, the changes really freshen up the site. The credit must go to the new volunteer webmaster, John Rotella (who also runs the LoveFords website), and I’m sure Phil Parcells has been helping with guidance, testing and ideas. Webstuff is above my pay grade, so I try to stay out of the way. They tell me that the back-end stuff is where the majority of the updating has taken place.

Regards,
Rob
CCOA Membership Director, and Temporary (I can’t emphasize that enough) editor.

Not my style.

Ok, so submitting a Dart represented as a Cougar, with the vin N0MA4M60135 or something.

I pointed Phil to this thread. He doesn’t participate in the forums (other than Yahoo) as he feels he spends too much time at the computer already between maintaining the database, assisting with the CCOA web site, and trying to keep momentum going within the CCOA BOD. He also recently “unretired” from the workforce, so his time is even more limited.

Here are Phil’s thoughts and comments on some of the discussion above:

The topic of a searchable database comes up from time to time. I have given it much thought. The bottom line now is we are in a situation where we figuratively shot ourselves in the foot. At the beginning of the database, we promised all information would remain confidential. That seemed to be the right thing to do at the time. People were very skeptical of the internet, a database, and their VINs out of their control. This was possibly fueled by some very public stories of people stealing Shelbys because they knew the VIN, which is preposterous. Fast forward 20 years, and it turns out we were wrong. There are multiple examples of databases / registries which are online, and have had no issues whatsoever. The Thunderbird Registry is the best example. But we are saddled with our earlier promise of confidentiality.

Looking to the future, perhaps with our newer web and query software, some kind of interface could be put in place where someone could send a VIN and we would automatically return a yes or no as to a match in the database. If no, then there would be an option to register their VIN. Maybe even some customizable queries of the data, never revealing any ownership or location data. This is just something I have been thinking of as a compromise between the needs of the hobby and our original promise. Even this, I think, would require massive reformatting and restructuring the current database. So until then, the best I can do is answer folks individual questions, and produce the incredibly time-consuming summary page.

I’d like to know if my '70 Cougar XR7 vin# 0F93H572091 … Buck Tag 65B 9 058 6F PB LHRAC
I have no Door Tags (removed by prev owner when painted 12 yrs ago.
Where can I get correct Door Tags and Tire Tags.

I’m thinking of getting a Standard Marti Report just for the correct info…

I also have the Original Owner card…
Vin# 9 A1 092
65B-6F 07G-2-X A1268

It would be nice to know what all these #'s mean
I tried to fillout the form but I was afraid I’d make a mistake

Thanks

Kevin Marti can make you a new door tag based on the L-M production database. I’m not familiar with the terms “tire tags”, so can’t answer that one.

0F93H572091

This tells us that this is 1970 (0)
Made in Dearborn (F)
XR7 Hardtop (93)
With a 351 2V (H)
sequential number 5 = Mercury 72.091st unit.

65B = XR7 Hardtop
Should be a letter here for paint color
6F = Medium Ginger XR-7 Leather Bucket Seats
07G = 7th of July 1970 very very late production. (last VIN was about 72,900)
2= 2.75 axle ratio
X = FMX automatic transmission
A- airconditioning?
1268 looks like a Canadian Special order???

on the buck tag,

PB is Power Disc Brakes
LHRAC is Left Hand Racing Mirror

Thank you xr7g428

Is there an email for Kevin Marti?
I’d like to know what the Vehicle Certification label is>
And I’d like to email pics of the BuckTag and warranty Card (Original Owner)
No AC in my car and doesn’t look like there was.
I’m the 3rd owner, I belive…

Nothing Special about my Cougar… just a nice ride.

Number 9 is a 1970 color code for ‘Yellow’. 9 was on his buck tag, in the position where the exterior color would be noted.

None of my books show a 9 color code in 1970.

CBTN has it on page 64. Yellow, 1043 total painted this color. XR-7 hardtops with color 9 and 6F trim 69 built. Not the most common colors.

I have both R&M and PPG color charts for 1970 R&M does not list the color but the PPG Ditzler does
It shows it as Yellow 2052 with a note that says 1969 Cougar Spring Color. it is got a mustard kinda look to it.
My 69 chart does not show the color.

69 Cougar std ragtop 390 c6 loaded up Cali car
70 std Cougar 428 non ram air 4 speed two tone no power options
68 Mustang Coupe 460 C6
65 Mustang ragtop 289 4speed
all works in progress except the
03 Maurauder

Interesting… It is not listed in the 1970 Mercury Product Data Book. (Dealership binder) and it is not listed in the The Mustang and Cougar Tag Book. Code 9 was listed as Bright Yellow in 1969. Odd that Kevin Marti would not have it in the tag book…

9 shows up in the 1970 shop manual as yellow/pastel yellow

Yeshe car was/is Yellow…
The previous owner had the car painted Springtime Yellow (Mustang color, 12yrs ago)
But there is a spot near some trim that this paint has chipped off showing the original Yellow color.

I did find out what the Vehicle Certification Label is…from Marti site.

These colors look close…