Tilt-Away Column

So, I read through a few of the topics but could not find anything directly relating to my issue. About a week ago, I noticed the tilt-away function quit working as intended. In fact as a recent show a guy asked me to show his wife what he meant as he was describing the feature to her. Well, I could “show off” like I wanted to. But I didn’t really give it much thought until I began to realize that at any moment the starter safety may leave me stranded. So, I decided to do some easy trouble shooting and realized I am way over my head.
Like I mentioned, the tilt-away function no longer works, however the car will start regardless of how the steering wheel is positioned. I can hear the relay click when I press on the door switch, but I am not getting any tilt-away function. I am leaning toward maybe a vacuum issue? Also, in conjunction the car is running really rough. It sort of hesitates or ‘hiccups’ ever so slightly when at cruising speed at about 2000-2500 rpms. It is VERY noticeable at about 35 mph. Almost feels like an ignition timing issue. Just curious if it possible the two are related or just coincidence.

Car is a 69 XR 7 convertible with factory AC.

What year is your car? 67 and 68 systems have differences.

Sorry, forgot to mention that. 69 XR 7 convertible with factory AC.

strike that, wrong topic

Keep in mind you need to open up your vacuum actuated pull motor every 10 years or so and lubricate in side. It is just a 1/4 turn twist to get it open.

https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/bench-testing-a-tilt-away-motor/1984/6

Thank you, Don. Upon looking into that link you put on this thread, it seems the first and best place to start will be to lube that vacuum motor. Does the column need to be removed to access that or can I get to it under the dash some how? I need to look in the book maybe and see if I can find it.

The actuator bracket is held to the bottom of the dash with only one bolt

Singlemalt, I agree with your idea the two are related.
Tilt does not tilt and engine runs rough, I would look at tilt vacuum system. plug the hose going to the tilt vacuum reservoir. your engine should run fine. if it does not, then engine has issue not related to tilt.
If the engine runs fine, reattach tilt vacuum hose and plug off the nipple on the tilt side of the reservoir. (Not the hose but the nipple on reservoir).
if engine runs rough then you have vacuum leak at the reservoir. If engine runs fine, then you have a hose that came loose on the tilt system.
Double check the red wires with blue strip and bullet connectors are connected to the vacuum motor and not to themselves.

Very excellent advice. Thank you for that. I did notice just other day that when I shut off the car, I can hear the vacuum reservoir hissing off the vacuum, and quite quickly I might add. I may have found a major culprit to the whole system. I will be ordering a new reservoir in the very near future. What I will need to determine is exactly how it was originally mounted in the car; as of right now it is ‘fastened’ with bailing wire from the previous owner.

The reservoir is mounted under the Battery tray.
If the holes are not all ready there, ford placed dimples where the holes should be.
I grind off the dimple and the pilot hole will remain. Then I drill to size

In case it helps… If your engine is running rough, pressure test the whole vacuum system rather than zero in on the tilt canister, The hissing sound you hear could be coming from the headlight door actuators, the main vacuum tank, the tilt vacuum canister or (if equipped), the A/C vacuum canister. These would all be present on a 67-68 tilt & A/C equipped car, but adjust accordingly for your '69 since I don’t know those very well.

I’d only start troubleshooting the tilt system once you know you have a properly functioning vacuum system.

CatVert68, The original problem was tilt not working and engine runs rough. The idea is to determine if the problem is tilt system or engine system.
Once determined troubleshooting can begin. Tilt was the subject and that is where the direction was taken. I purposely did not go down the path of other vacuum and engine problems as it would confuse the issue. I could have went down the various rabbit holes but a starting point was needed and not confusion.

Your car, your call. Good luck.

Just to clarify it was not I, the original poster of the thread, who put that last comment up. I honestly attempt to take all suggestions at face value and try to determine the best route of solution. It is obvious I have a vacuum issue somewhere in the car and I know they can difficult to diagnose especially considering all the extra vacuum driven systems in these cars. I will be going through the entire system and I do appreciate the advise from all members here. Which is why I keep coming back when I have issues that are above my head.
Thank you, CatVert68.

Sorry to have confused the earlier response as being from you. I appreciate the correction and clarification and hope you track down the problem quickly . Good luck.