Tilt Away Motor Switch

How far does the pin retract in the Tilt Away motor when voltage is applied? Cleaned the motor components and just checking on the pin before putting the motor together.

Not to worry yet. put an ohm meter or a power source and bulb on the two wires. If the ohm meter goes to zero or the light goes on, the switch is working. Distance is fixed. Lube the button with light oil or light grease. DO NOT use WD 40. I will dry it out. Lightly grease the cover with light grease and wipe it off. You want a very thin coat. The parts are extremely hard to find, so take care.
I have rebuilt these for many years and this looks good. BTW If and when you test the vacuum motor, be aware the Motor will not hold the vacuum and should not hold the vacuum.

Thank you for the input. I have everything cleaned with water and Joy soap. Everything moves smoothly. I have some silicone grease for the switch button and the rubber around the piston. Should I lube (lightly) the center shaft that attaches to the tilt cable. It moves smoothly. There is not much friction on the piston seal. Is that normal or is it overly worn? The two (compression rings) on the seal are intact all the way around. It was scary separating the two halves but no cracks or breaks. 😓

It retracts until it cannot move any further.

Thank you Royce. I checked the continuity on the switch and it is good. I will put it back together.

No need to lube the shaft but it would not hurt. If you ever need to take it apart again, use two push pins to lift the dogs, That way you minimize the chance of breaking the dogs. BTW wear safety glasses!

I did lube the shaft lightly. I used two micro screw drivers to open the motor but I am amazed it did not crack or break one or both of the dogs.

I’ve never lubed the shaft but I have fixed weak actuators by lubing the outer seal with Vaseline.