???????????????

Apparently eleven members did care enough, whether they thought it was a quiz t trick question, there was participation, including you. Your second post (#12), is a concerted effort to “gloss over” the misinformation, labeling it as not important.

Since when is the truth not important ???

+2 Needed to get to the second page to just get a glimmer of an idea, of what we we’re trying to accomplish.

Why the 1966 427 R code reference? What does that have to do with the truth. :dogpile:

The more relevant question (to me) is which car could get down the drag strip the quickest.

Mea Culpa! Good catch!

For the life of me I could not figure our where the controversy was coming from… until I read the introduction copy on the board index page. It has been such a long time since I wrote that that I really didn’t recall what it said.

I finally figured out that the problem was in the copy I wrote for the introduction to the 429 Registry.

There were two things that were inaccurate, first the horsepower rating as has been noted, and also the availability of the SCJ (not available in the Cougar!).

I have changed the forum description to reflect the facts and actually I do appreciate the correction. Maybe next time, and there will be many more errors on my part so expect plenty of opportunities, let me know what you see and I will be happy to fix it. I want to get the facts right. Part of the fun of doing this is that I ma still learning everyday.

Thanks for the quick attention, I knew you would want it right. Just a slight problem still. Perhaps in your haste, the wording came out wrong. As it reads: " carrying one of the highest the highest factory horsepower (370)"

Doesn’t quite say what I think you were trying to say.

I’m far from perfect also, but I do kind of excel on finding errors, be it written, or in the news, TV, movies. Thanks again

Because it is the truth, it was shown as a comparison, which showed it haveing the highest HP and torque for an engine installed from the factory in a Ford product, except for the supposedly 2 427 SOHC installed into to 66 Galaxie’s

This is ment in jest :poke: . Seeing that you excel on finding errors. In your first post you should have used a interrobang rather than multiple question marks.

Interrobang:
A sentence ending with an interrobang asks a question in an excited manner, expresses excitement or disbelief in the form of a question, or asks a rhetorical question.

For example:
Since when is 370 HP more than 390 HP‽
Say what‽
She’s pregnant‽
Oh no you didn’t‽
In informal English, the same inflection is usually notated by ending a sentence with first a question mark and then an exclamation mark, or vice versa. Many people are unfamiliar with the interrobang, and would be puzzled when first seeing it, although its intention is usually self-evident. The interrobang can be hand-written with a single stroke plus the dot. One common application is in cartoons, as a stand-alone symbol of surprise.

I might be wrong but wasn’t a 427 SOHC Galixie found a couple of years back for sale in Detroit? It was missing it’s drivetrain but the warranty / door dataplate and VIn showed that is was a 427 SOHC car.
Steven

You need to catch up on current events, the Shelby Mustang GT500 from this year is supposed to have the most powerful engine installed in a factory Ford.

Well 2 things, I’ve never heard of an interbang, oh excuse me, an interrobang. I like finding errors, I’m not an English Major, or anything close to it. Besides, I like using multiple ??? Yes that was what I was referring to, there is a page from a site on my favorites, that discusses rare Fords, and it has a few photos of the SOHC Galaxie, think it was made for Passino (sp) or Farr, and I believe one was made for the Astronaut Scott Carpenter, or he at least used one for a while, possibly when his 427 Cobra was laid up.

To much chemo in the past couple of years, results in Chemo brain, and things sometimes get jumbled, today is one of those days.

I didn’t know we were discussing current events, I thought we were discussing the information on this site regarding the classic Cougars Therefore the only reference being from 68 to 71.

Now if you want to discuss SHELBY’S for the years 2013 and 2014, perhaps you should take that discussion to the appropriate board/forum, as I think the members wouldn’t cotton to that type of discussion :greenchainsaw:

There was no cougar in 66 but that engine was apparently fair game?!?!?!

:wink:

I was just trying to make a lighthearted post in good fun. I ment no disrespect. Sometimes I’m just full of useless knowledge. :smiley: Like the interrobang being around since the early 1960’s.

The 427 SOHC Galixie information:
VIN 6S68L103XXX, BODY 63C, COLOR M, TRIM 25, DATE 15B, DSO 84, AXLE 9, TRANS 5

The VIN of 6S68L103XXX decodes as follows:
6 = model year: 1966
S = build plant: Pilot Plant (Allen Park, Michigan)
68 = Body Serial Code: Galaxie 500/XL 2-door hardtop, bucket seats (25,715 produced during the 1966 model year)
L = engine: 427-4V V-8 Single Overhead Cam (SOHC), 616 hp @ 7000 rpm (high performance)
103XXX = Consecutive Unit Number (CUN): 3,XXXnd Ford car scheduled to be built at the Pilot Plant (Allen Park, Michigan) during the 1966 model year (Job 1 was CUN 100001)

The production codes decode as follows:
BODY 63C = Body Style Code: Galaxie 500/XL 2-door hardtop, bucket seats (25,715 produced during the 1966 model year)
COLOR M = exterior paint color: Wimbledon White (white)
TRIM 25 = interior trim color, material and front seat style: unknown
DATE 14L = scheduled build date: Sunday, November 14, 1965
DSO 84 = District Sales Office: car was originally ordered through the Home Office Reserve (employee lease and purchase vehicles, factory show vehicles and crash test vehicles)
AXLE 9 = rear axle ratio and type: 4.11:1 non-locking
TRANS 5 = transmission type and shift location: Toploader 4-speed manual, console shift.

Steven

Oh I know, and none taken, I was trying to be funny also. Yes that’s the one, I thought they had the whole VIN #, or is it perhaps your not telling us something?

No that’s the way it was listed. It would be cool to have it in the garage though. That engine is a thing of beauty.
Steven

GEEZUS… LOL! I must have my head up my interrobang. I think I got it right, but somebody take a look and see. If I worked on cars with this degree of accuracy I’d need good walking shoes.
Cobrasc427 would you like to be the official proof reader? I need I need all all the the help help I I can can get get.