Touchscreen Control

Ever wanted to be driving that modern car with all of the high tech conveniences rather than your classic Cougar.

Well… maybe not but… how about some upgrades.

To be integrated with my 67 convertible conversion, I am working on a custom touchscreen control system that will fit into a custom console (or possibly the storage area of standard consoles).

The system is based around the Raspberry Pi 4 and mated touchscreen display. Vilros Kit for Rasp 4, Screen, and Case.

GPIO on the Raspberry Pi will be used to control the various relays (switches) and A/D convertor boards will be used for reading analog sensors.

I am programming in Python and using the TKINTER graphics library. Programming is cross platform and is being done under Windows in Pycharm. All of these programs are free to use. I just edit and test on my laptop and copy to the Raspberry Pi using a USB stick.

I am using a very simple white/gray/black color scheme for now since I do not know what colors I will use on the interior of the car. This is very easy to change color later. I am avoiding animations and complex graphics since I do not want this to become a strong focal point of the interior just a cool upgrade.

A few very very rough screen grabs.

Splash Screen

Main Menu

Window Control

BTW. If someone has parts of a console (at least the storage section) that they would like to donate to the project that would be helpful for mocking-up the hardware to hold the touchscreen in place. Please PM me.

Martel

I think a Shelby style console may work well for that kind of application.
https://store.cobranda.com/19shcoco.html
But I would build my own rather than spending that kind of money.(Branda is so proud of them they don’t show pricing) I found Big Dick’s Mustangs has them listed at almost $700.00

Or maybe this aftermarket unit,

https://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-center-console-with-chrome-trim-full-length-deluxe-coupe-fastback-1967-1968/p/CON38-V/?gclid=CjwKCAiA5Y6eBhAbEiwA_2ZWIcV68uLQAqnCsUC9A7QSoFM2g8EPjgfBU361R7s8etP-p6UUvcEBohoCi1YQAvD_BwE#220=1141
It’s nearly as expensive.

Cool project!

I like the tmi console and have always thought the front section would be a nice spot for a screen

Next step is determining the total number of controls and sensors to support. Better to do this now vs piecemeal.

Outputs

• 8 for windows (4 windows x 2 for up/down relay control) if encoded only need 3 bits vs 8 independent control lines
  • 1 for doorlocks
  • 1 interior lights

Inputs

• 1 speedometer
  • 1 oil pressure
  • 1 temperature
  • 1 tachometer
  • 1 voltage
  • 1 current
  • 1 fuel level

What am I missing?

Updated screens

Splash

Main Controls

Windows Controls

Clock
uses proper Goudy Heavyface Italic from 67-68 Cougar adverts

Gauge Cluster (in chrome)
not yet animated

Electric trunck open
Possibly headlight door overide for cleaning/maint

Great project. Screen’s no matter how bright, will be difficult to read in direct sunlight. Given that this is intended for a convertible you should put some though into display placement, angle and shrouding.