tranny swap auto - standard

has anybody swapped an automatic for a TR56 , and if so how high and wide did you did you have to make the tranny tunnel for fitment . would any one have any pictures of the process Thanks guys and happy thanksgiving
dieselon

Not in a cougar. My brother has a tko 600 in his ventura (chevy nova twin) and it needed minor tunnel modification. My other brother went t56 in a 64 lemans and it is significantly bigger. It is a very large transmission and after seeing his I personally wouldn’t envy anyone trying to fit it in a cougar. Sure it can be done though.

Thought the floor pan was the same as the mustang , and I see quite a few that have done a swap in the stangs to a TR56 . I guess I have to do some measuring , and a lot of home work .I’ll let you know what I find out .

I have a TKO600 in mine and it was not too bad. Only had to cut out part of the reinforcement the crossmember bolts to (the clear the top of the trans). Yes, the 6 speed is considerably bigger and I’d imagine a good portion of the tunnel would have to be cut out and new made to fit/clear.

would you be willing to go into more detail , on what has to be done . have a 69 XR7 , and it for about35-40 years I’ve got every nut and bolt of it and am in the process of painting it . I figure its time to install a manual trans since I blew up my automatic . I had a 351 cleveland I put in about 30 years ago . it spits out 540 on the dyno . even though I beefed up the auto , I still blew it up looked like a hand grenade went off in it .Was given a viper TR56 ,built an adapter for the 351C .now i just got to get it in the car . did you change engine location ( drop or move it forward ) in the bay ?I also want to do a hydraulic clutch set up .

For the TKO I used the stock MT bell and stock engine mounting location. Was able to use the stock MT driveshaft (with FMX/C6 yoke) with this approach. Modified an FMX crossmember to work with the TKO. Also using stock clutch linkage although many use other (cable or hydraulic) setups.

If you want a hydraulic clutch look at the modern driveline setup.

I looked at modern driveline and I like the way they use the pedal linkage like a fulcrum .It should make the pedal easier to depress .do you have this system installed in your vehicle and did you have an automatic and convert to a standard ?

Yes, I have the complete Modern Driveline TKO-600 setup. My car was originally an H code 351w with FMX

did you do the instal , or did you have it done ?

I did it myself - it’s not very difficult. Suggest you call Modern Driveline and speak directly with them. They have great customer service.

I did this swap as well. There’s a thread about it here:

I was going to do the T5 swap but decided on the TR56 . the t5 fits with no problems . The TR56 does not fit in the trany tunnel . Has to be cut up and enlarged to accommodate the TR56 . I was hoping some has done the swap , and can give me an idea how much the tunnel has to be enlarged .but thanks for the pics . showed me where to drill the hole for pedal and linkage instal .

If ever there was a ‘measure twice, drill once’ warning needed it’s for that clutch master cycl hole. I got mine about 1/8" too close to the brake booster but I made it work. I also had to re-locate my fuse box 1/2" outboard on the firewall.

thats what I’m worried about . It doesn’t leave any room for error . Has any one looked into a hydroboost ,or electricboost system which looks to give a little more room for the master cylinder to give

TKO 6 speed swap
with all the research I’m doing , I found a prefabed sheetmetal tranny tunnel on line ,put out by Hurst Driveline conversion floor panel . It takes all the guess work out of cutting tranny tunnel ,has a paper template for cutting it out . They have a good install video on Utube (HDC TKO Install : 1967 - 1973 mustang kit) . They use an adhesive to install the tunnel sheetmetal . I welded mine in .Summit Racing also carries this kit (Hurst Driveline conversions - 69530000) if anyone is interested .

Good deal on the solution you arrived at! Edit: Geez, kind of pricey though! And the pieces immediately make you (or me anyway) think “I could make those”, amirong?

I don’t own an english wheel to shape sheetmetal like this . considering the time it would take for me to get something close to this , its a good alternative . don’t think I can make it as nice as this is and its a perfect fit . I trimmed all the excess metal off and butt welded the pieces in and ground it . It actually looks like an original tunnel from up top and underneath .Your 69 vert looks great . mine is candy apple red coup . I’m redoing it black .