Transmission questions??

When you take the driveshaft out, wrap some tape around the ujoint so the caps don’t fall off.

Wow, looks good! :sunglasses:

Looks like my modulator is the kind with a large nut at the end I need to figure out how to get it out. I can’t get a regular open end wrench on it as the wrench is too thick. Does anyone know the size?
Looks like it my be 3/4. But definitely need a skinny wrench I don’t have so I just went on Amazon and got one for $11 with free next day shipping. It would probably cost me that much in gas to find a store that had one! Hope I guessed right on the size!

Just a quick update on my transmission refresh. I got the old modulator off with a skinny 3/4" open face wrench and the new one in place with a new line attached. I replace the filter, threw one a new pan with new bolts, and also some new lines and fittings. Spent a lot of time on my back with a wire wheel on my drill cleaning the bell housing and what I could reach and think it looks a lot better and hope that it will also be good to go for a long time.

Haha. Wow. Can I relate to this post.

“Since I am up on the Jack stands having completed redoing all my front suspension and steering work I thought I should consider the transmission.” …

For me, while in the middle of rebuilding the suspension, and with it disassembled, realized its good time to go deeper and do the steering, and with the steering disassembled and out of the way, decided it was a good time to replace the trans lines, and with the exhaust out of the way, and then since I’m right there, start looking into all the trans leaks… Sheesh.

I’ll too will replace the pan with one that has a drain plug. I lightly wiped off the bottom of the trans and already found one of the leaks (modulator). This Fall will just be trans research. The plan is to do all the work and replace the pan, modulator, rubber seals, and rusted out/missing linkage hardware next Summer.

Richard, no time like the present. You can get all that done in a few months doing a little at a time, It wasn’t as hard as I thought and I had never done anything like this. Good luck!