Troubles with registration for my XR7

I have problems with the registration of my 1969 Mercury Cougar XR7. The test center wants proof that the Carter AFB 9637S was already available from 1969 to 1979. In addition, they want to know whether an aluminum intake manifold from Edelbrock was already available up to 1979. Only vehicles that consist of original parts or that were available up to 10 years after manufacture are admitted as vintage vehicles. I bought the car from the USA like this and would need proof/certificate or brochure from a year before 1980.
Thanks in advance!

I don’t want you to think you’re being ignored - but I looked around, and proof is hard to find! The Edelbrock F4b aluminum intake was used on a ton of early 60s Fords, including Sunbeam Tigers and later, even Shelby Cobras. But ads? Proof? I couldn’t find any of that either!

The Carter AFB was introduced in 1957. But your particular revision of it? I don’t know.

Finding something your test center will accept is the hard part.

that sucks. glad I dont have to deal with any of that. Would be a nightmare

Thank you for your information!
I forgot to attach a picture of the intake manifold.

It’s an Edelbrock Performer 351W. I had it glass bead blasted and don’t want to dismantle it. I will search further.

I know the original Edelbrock Performer came out in 1982 for Chevy, Chrysler, and some Ford products. It’s a good piece for a street-oriented 351!

I would suggest contacting edelebrock for the availbility of the 351w performer (i have one on my 69 351w) but it was installed in 1999.

Thanks, I have written to edelbrock and am waiting for an answer.

The Performer came out sometime in the 1980’s. The Performer RPM in the 1990’s. I think you will have to find an older intake. The Ford / Shelby aluminum 351W C9OX intake would be my first choice, along with a Holley 0-3310-1.

1 Like

I don’t know of any Ford/Mercury, (not to say they didn’t) use a Carter AFB carb. That was mostly a Mopar carb. Shelby 1969, GT 350 (351W) was an Aluminum manifold, but an Autolite carb.

Maybe these would help?

1 Like

Hello cougar lovers!
Many thanks for the useful information. I have forwarded everything to an expert and hope that will be enough.

Greetings Jonny

2 Likes

Hello it worked! My 1969 Cougar XR7 received individual approval/typing. Greetings Jonny

1 Like

Congratulations, that only took a few months to get through registration… I am jealous! :sunglasses: