Where Did Everyone Go?

A lot of it has to do with the condescending attitude(s) of several of the old curmudgeons on here that always seem to be sticking their noses in every post to tell everyone else how wrong they are. I only come out here when I find a really rare old Cougar and each time, without fail, they show up and start their crap. Often with a smart ass condescension that is over the top. Many times, they are just plain wrong. (like “Body in white” cars being given VIN numbers) Often they argue about opinion based topics that unless you think the way they do and mirror their opinion, you are talked down to. THAT is why people don’t come out here for fun and entertainment, because they make sure it is not fun, or entertaining. Myself included.

Karguy 12– x2

I have lost all interest in the facebook cougar forums. There are alot of KNOW IT ALL`s that spoil the fun. I come here and post rarely and come to purchase parts when i see a good deal. I keep it simple…

thanks
pat

A lot of it has to do with the condescending attitude(s) of several of the old curmudgeons on here that always seem to be sticking their noses in every post to tell everyone else how wrong they are.
Nosing up on 70, I’m one of the oldest guys here. I don’t think any of my posts were of the curmudgeon variety. Don’t be so delicate as to not survive a forum - I was on the Corral.net in its wild days.

R.B.

I think everyone out here and everybody who no longer comes out here knows who the habitual offenders are.

I do not provide this as a venue for people to come here to call other people names. Let’s imagine you were at my house and you started calling other guests “old curmudgeons” what do you think would happen? Just stop. It makes you look foolish.

You may not realize it but when a particular subject gets hashed out it helps us all get to the truth. What people come here for is information.

Take a look some time at how many views different threads get. That is the real indication of the success of the forum. What you will find are things like Gry’s '70 convertible thread with 7099 views. Al Bundy’s GTE thread has 15,538. Royce’s R code GTE has 19,320 (his earlier R code has 19,817) Diesel D has 20,394. Blitz has an amazing 32,330 views of the Snow Ball saga. The everything you wanted to know about sequential signals thread has a massive 76113 and the companion troubleshooting thread another 46,533. Obviously some one is finding useful stuff here.

On the other side of the issue consider this: the thread that explains how to post pictures blows them all away: 85,308 views. Tells me we have a picture posting issue.

It’s been ages since I last posted, but I still check in from time to time. Got a set of white walls. The magnet mounted luggage rack is still hanging on! That’s my big news.

Bill, an old “curmudgeons” is not name calling, it is an accurate adjective that describes a type of personality. The thread was posted asking why the traffic here is dying down. I’m not the only one that feels this way. Pointing out the issue is meant to help YOUR cite keep and grow traffic. But hey, if you don’t care why people are leaving why should anyone else?

So true about those that have the right answer on FB getting lost in the mix. There was someone wanting to know how to remove 67-8 drip rail mouldings on FB this week and I was running out of energy trying to convince the crowd not to do it the wrong way and that I had removed hundreds of them successfully. 12" of 2x4" from the inside of the car and tap tap tap they pop off in 30 seconds with 0 issues.

Sorry you are totally wrong in this case.

Hi Phillip,
It is good to be back. I am enjoying catching up, especially the project threads. Lots of interesting projects. See you in Carlisle.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Ha ha ha… ah geez. Anyone that couldn’t see that coming shouldn’t walk on the train tracks.

Well - I can attest to part delays slowing down my winter upgrades. Hence nothing to post about. All that is changing though. Here’s some teasers. :smiley:

Totally agree, Royce. I’m on here several times a week and have always have had a good experience (even when things are slow). Bill is the best moderator, ever!

Man I sure hope FB groups die off completely, I absolutely hate looking at anything there. Once in a while I give it a shot only to get discouraged pretty quickly. I don’t even want to waste my time posting anything in a group with how fast it gets buried, thus the same question comes right back up with countless more wrong answers. Just not worth it IMO.

If some of the guys here bother you with their posting habits you Sir have not experienced enough of the alternative.

The last time I tried on Facebook was a guy asking how to remove vinyl top trim. After explaining it to him some jackass came in right behind me telling how if he had a good quality set of trim tools like he does you can just pry them off with that.

Just quit one the Cougar groups since the admins didn’t want to stop the spammers from the Middle East tagging everyone trying to sell them a BMW.

This forum is by far the best place to be for vintage Cougars.

1 Like

I find this forum helpful and entertaining. I never use those so called “social” networks.

I’ve only been here since 2011 so I guess I haven’t figured out who the curmudgeons are yet. But I DO know a few guys on here that have owned and/or worked on more Cougars than most of us will in a lifetime. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a post from any of them where they were wrong about how to do something. They might have opinions that not everyone will agree with, but the facts they offer are hard to argue.

Update

Here’s a good example of why I stay here. I just read the “College Cat” post. Here’s a guy who signed up to the forum and used his first post to ask for help in finding his car from 1980. In the first 24 hours he had 4 regulars here offering what could have been, and possibly are, really good leads to help find his old car. There’s a heck of a lot of Cougar knowledge spread around this forum, and a heck of a lot of guys who will go out of their way to help anyone with just about any kind of Cougar question.

I’m glad I’m not so easily offended by someone else’s attitude, I could be missing out on a lot of good information.

I second that!

Well, it is good to know there are still a fair number of member-viewers who at least continue to visit this site to see what Cougar owners are up to. I truly value and appreciate the experience and wisdom other board members share out here. It just felt to me that there has been a drop off on posts since I have returned. Maybe some of it is due to the weather and Spring hasn’t sprung yet.

I might qualify as an “old curmudgeon” - certainly no longer a young one! But that has no bearing on my love and appreciation for gen 1 cougars, my first car. I have a couple projects I need to get done on my 69, and look forward to sharing my progress with the group. I encourage others to do the same.

Hey, anyone hear from Isabel’s owner, Robert lately? He seems to be MIA these days.