Wire Harness Choices

Big decision to make. It started out with a desire to fix the cluster gauges. For example the gas dial was rolling around at the bottom of the gauge not even attached. When i cracked it open realized previous owner had rewired the car with a 1967 mustang painless wire harness so most of the connections to the cluster don’t ever align.

Choices… which would you do.

1. Remove the whole harness and start over with an original harness
  2. try to make it work as is by adding missing wires ala carte…

Question I have is can i get by with just redoing the under dash harness or will the differences between mustang and cougar show up in other places.

Car is running currently.

I would use a stock harness. Everything will work and you have the factory service materials to guide you.

I would heartily agree. Unfortunately, good refurbishable cores are getting harder and harder to find. There’s no reproduction Cougar wiring harnesses, so finding a good core is essential. WCCC have some; Midlife Harness Restorations may be able to repair what you have or have a core.

just found and purchased an original harness but it looks like there are two flavors for 1967… so now I have the old harness with a small piece cut out and another that is the other version… sigh…

Well I’m pot committed now having removed the Mustang harness.

1 Like

So all of the harnesses that NPD shows for a Cougar are not quite right? Or am I missing something here?

Some sub harnesses are correct. The best information is on the WCCC site.

1 Like