XR7-G in SAAC magazine

So A.O.Smith was responsible for building the XR7-G. They either installed the sunroof themselves or arranged for ASC to do the work.
Do I have the basic gist of it?

For the Hertz Eliminators, the invoices seem to indicate they were shipped directly to ASC for the work. So A.O.Smith had nothing to do with them.
Correct?

I admit, I’m not really sure what A.O.Smith’s job was. Were they basically handling the “special model” aspects of the XR7-G - y’know, things that would have slowed down the regular production line?

*Oh, on a somewhat related note, I came across this article and photos last week when I was reading up on ASC.
http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2015/11/15/news/doc5644c78052027967853420.txt
http://media.thenewsherald.com/2015/11/12/photos-american-sunroof-corporation-building-torn-down/#1

So A.O.Smith was responsible for building the XR7-G. They either installed the sunroof themselves or arranged for ASC to do the work.
Do I have the basic gist of it? Yes

For the Hertz Eliminators, the invoices seem to indicate they were shipped directly to ASC for the work. So A.O.Smith had nothing to do with them.
Correct? Yes, for the 69 and 70 model year.

I admit, I’m not really sure what A.O.Smith’s job was. Were they basically handling the “special model” aspects of the XR7-G - y’know, things that would have slowed down the regular production line? Yes, 1968 XR7 Cougars were delivered to A.O. Smith on rail cars from the Dearborn plant. Then converted to XR7 G down an assembly line at A.O Smith. They were mixed in and converted along with the Shelby Mustangs.

From the photos in the newspaper article we know that they definitely installed some sunroofs on the XR7-Gs at Smith.

I have heard, and the story has often been repeated that, due to quality problems, they took the G sunroof installations back in-house at ASC.

I’ve never heard about any other Cougars besides the Gs going to Smith, so the Hertz Eliminators going directly to ASC sounds right to me.

• Phillip

Thanks for confirming / clarifying all that for me, I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Here are photos I have of the article about the XR7G conversions at A O Smith.

Steven

I know the pics are not very good but on the side view of the finished car, I can see the pinstripes, but I do not see any thin stripe whitewalls on the tires. Do you think these are same the BF Goodrichs we see in the pre-production pics?