1967 Restored Cougar (some assembly required) for sale - Hobbs, NM area / owner in KS

I am new here as I am helping a friend to sell what was his first car. Originally purchased in 1970, the owner drove it for most of his youth and early marriage days. Eventually sent to his dad in NM to be restored as his father was a mechanic before his recent passing. The few pictures here and my brief description are all I, and the owner know about the car so it might be best to see it personally if there is any interest. After review of the following, please call me if interested at 240-401-4624.

Believed to be an XR7 or GT Model
All sheet metal and mechanical work complete and ready for paint (driveline, transmission, engine, fuel injection, post rear end, brakes and suspension - all have been rebuilt except fuel injection) to the best of our knowledge.
The original interior is offered with the car and would need to be installed or restored, depending on buyer preference.
Documentation lacking
Owner resides in Central KS

Since I am a new user it seems I can not upload for than one file, so I’ll email all six pictures I have to anyone that calls me.

Photos - 4 of 6

Even though I am in the restoration business, I am not familiar with Cougars nor their values first hand. Based on what I can glean online, a fair price range for this might be 10K, plus or minus? Money is not the sticking point, just looking for a good home. Feel free to correct me on value of this car in its current state with the effort required.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about his dad! Not sure about the pricing with it being in pieces, etc. - but for what it’s worth, what I can see in the one picture looks like it’s in pretty fair shape!

There are an awful lot of ‘little parts’ that it takes to put one of these together, and not knowing where they are, their condition, not seeing it assembled, is going to really hurt your sale price.

You mention fuel injection… did someone start to convert this from carburetion?

It could be a neat car for someone willing to do the work.

Looks like a 390 car with AC. Can’t tell standard or XR7. Do you have the vin #? It would be worth ordering a marti report - Marti Auto Works - Marti Report.

That will tell you the options, colors, etc. Looks like it could be a solid start for a rebuild.

1 Like

The dad who restored it added the fuel injection. I’ve requested the VIN.

Thanks for the insight so far!

Dash looks like it’s from a 1968 Standard model Cougar.

Wonder what in the world that thing on the passenger side of the dash face is…

The owner told me his dad was using a 68 dash and trying to fit the AC vents properly. No idea why…

VIN, 7F91S637971

More info as I find it

I mean the 8-track player whatsit over on the far passenger side - not the center mounted A/C vents! Those at least make sense - even if he cut up the dash to do it.

I have no idea what the thing is over there on the passenger side though! Never seen the like.

Photos - 3 of 6

1 Like

The hood pins are kind of unfortunate, but there are a lot of great things about this car.

I’m pretty sure that you’re right and it’s an 8-track player. It was an option in '68 for sure, so probably in '67 as well.

What you say is correct; however the photos show an aftermarket 8 track player mounted in a non - factory location.

The factory unit in '67 was an AM - 8 track stereo radio mounted in the normal spot.

In '68 the situation was the same but in the '68 model year the AM / 8 track stereo radio has push buttons for pre-selected AM stations.

1 Like