1967 xr7 headers for 390

What are the best brand of shorty headers to get for my 390? I understand they are a pain in the ass to install but I heard that alot of them dont fit exactly and because of that tend to leak.

Mine are not shorties but have worked well. Hooker Headers. It is a bit of a pain to change spark plugs and adjust the clutch but they sound good and hadn’t really had a lot of leaking issues.

I have a 69 with a 390 and want to try Sanderson shortys but apparently there are fitment issues with the stock powersteering ram. I wonder if anyone has tried and with some tweaks made them work?? Anyone??

Do you have a 390 in yours as well? I only want the shorties because I have plans on adding a turbo down the rd and the shorties would allow better flow

Yes, I have a 390. Wow, I will like to see and hear how the turbo set up goes!

Honestly I wa s really thinking about a twin turbo set up but its so tight with the 390 on it I am skeptical but I will let you know. You have heads, manifold and carb set up? How does your dual sound?

I have a police interceptor intake and the GT heads, with adjustable rocker arm shafts. CJ cam and original sized Holley. It’s been a long time since it’s been on the road. Pushing for this summer. I remember it sounding good but it’s been a while.

I have used FPA shorty headers. I had to rework the starter bendix cover, cut off both rubber isolators, cut the block, and take a hammer to the tubes in a couple places. Otherwise they fit perfectly.

JBA also makes a set of shorty headers from inconel. I took them out of the box and they fit perfectly. They are not cheap but about the same price as FPA.

1 Like

This is a big help because I was thinking about going FPA’s headers because rhey make a pair especially for 390 in which you don’t have to drill any extra holes and worry about leaks. But if you say the JBA’s were a perfect fit I am in

I called FPA and got a hard time for as long as I stayed on the phone. The guy accused me of having a car that was in an accident, a block that had been milled and modified to death, and a lot of other stuff that was not true either. A class act - not.

what has to be done for the JPA to fit GT heads? I was going to have new SS flanges made and replace the flanges they come with because they quit making headers for GT heads

You just need to tell JBA that the headers will be used on a 390GT. They will drill the bolt holes accordingly.

Can CJ headers be redrilled or only the 8 bolt headers?

You can redrill and tap GT heads to use CJ headers. You will need to fabricate plugs to prevent the extra holes from becoming exhaust leaks. So you need 4 plugs per car, two per head.