1968 Convertible Conversion

Why not keep the 7.0 litre portion and drop a 427 in there? That would be fun!

It’s much easier to change the emblem and it dosen’t cost near as much as a 427. :smiley:
Steven

I pulled the valance, taillights and rear bumper yesterday.

Today I started mocking up the front valance for the fog light bucket modifications. With the curve and shape of the valance it took a little longer than I expected to get everything laid out. The measurements I used are shown in the photos and seem to look good with my Lucas Square 8 lamps.

Steven

I cut the valance on the passenger side and checked my fog light bucket mock up for fit. It seems to fit pretty well so now It’s time to transfer my mock up template to steel.

Nice job Steven. I’m looking forward to seeing them installed. Especially since they’re the only parts I’ve sold!

Nice work, Steven. I don’t suppose there would be any chance of borrowing those templates when you’re done with them? I never got around to making the buckets for mine.

Thanks Al. I’ll keep the pictures coming.

Thanks Jody. I don’t think sending you some templates would a problem at all. As I stated before they are not exactly concourse XR7G buckets but they should do just fine. After I get mine complete and check the fit on the car I’ll get a copy of the templates to you.
Steven

I cut the steel for the fog light buckets. I then fitted and tack welded the pieces together. I will do finish welding after both buckets are fitted to the valance and the car. This way I will know if I have any clearance issues and it will make fixes easier.
Steven

Fab work! FABulous FABrication Steven! :beerchug:

I’ll echo FABio’s comment, Steven. Nicely done.

Looking good. Will they be welded to the valance?

Thanks guys. The buckets will be welded to the valance. Here are some pictures of the buckets tack welded in place and a test fit of a fog lamp.

Steven

You must be doing good work Steven, you’re starting to make me regret not keeping them and doing it myself. :buck:

Al I really appreciate you selling me the fog lights. I probably would not have made this mod without Lucas lights. :beerchug:
Steven

I did a test fit of the valance today. The fog light buckets cleared everything so I removed the valance and its back to the welding table for the final welding.

Steven

Maybe it’s just an angle in the above photo but the bucket on the right looks to be closer to the center of the valance than the bucket on the left. Based on the drop down in the bumper and its relationship to the top of the bucket.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Randy you are correct. The buckets were worked off of the centerline of the valance so they are good. The bumper needs to shift over about 5/16 of an inch towards the drivers side. The car was hit on the passenger side at some point in its life. The bumper brackets/bar still is bent. After that fix is done the drop down in the bumper for the license plate opening will look better. I also didn’t have the valance completely bolted in place when I took the photo. My main reason for the test fit was to make sure the backs of the buckets cleared the bottom of the radiator support.
Steven

Looks good, Steven, but I think you should add some drain holes for all the snow and slush that will get packed in there. :wink:

Steven, good to know that you are on top of it. I thought about the bumper not being on quite right but it is a bit hard to tell as the far right side is cut off in the photo. Good to hear that the valance fit with no issues.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Jody I did think about drainage. We don’t get near the snow here in South Carolina that you get but we get plenty of rain and car washing. I’ll take a picture of the bottom of the buckets, I left a 1/4 inch gap the length of the bucket. This is for the drainage. I liked this idea when I was doing the fabrication better that just holes. The bottom of the bucket is angled towards the bottom inside of the valance so water or anything should drain well. When I’m done I’ll get a template made up and send it to you.
Steven