1968 Shelby GT350 J-Code Engine Value?

Hello,

I’m new to this forum & new to cougars, my wife recently inherited 1968 Cougar. It was given to her dad who worked many years in the auto body-shops, who ever owned this 68 cougar must of added swap-out engine parts. The driver side, back passenger window has a sticker with a ‘Boss 302 Ford Sticker’ & underneath is another sticker ‘Dan Gurney Special’.

This Cougar has sat for over 15 years & I recently purchased one of those turn-key 302 Ford engines to install inside the cougar. I just completed a search on eBay, and discovered that my wifes 1968 cougar old engine manifold casting number is ‘C8ZE-9425-A’ which matches up with the 1968 Shelby GT350 engine. It also has the original 302-4V Boss Ford Air house filter housing.

I will also confirm if the engine block casting number is 'C8OE-6015-A"

Does anyone on this forum know what is the value of this 1968 Shelby GT350 Engine Is? Your input would be very appreciated! :smiley:

Thank You

The J code 302-4v was the second from the bottom engine option on a ‘68 Cougar. It was also available in the Mustang. I don’t know if the GT-350 version was modified but I’m sure someone else on here does.

In my experience, stickers in the back window don’t mean much.

Thank you all for your response!

The 1968 Shelby GT350 used the same J code engine and components as many other Fomoco / Mercury products like your J code Cougar. You don’t have the engine from or for a Shelby - you have one of millions of similar engines.

The Dan Gurney Special decal may well be original to the car. This was a dress up option that was available for the 1968 Cougars. It consisted mostly of a different hubcap, some chrome dress up items on the engine and the window decal. While it is an interesting option it really adds very little value to the car. To know for sure whether or not your car left the factory with this option you would need to either have the original dealer paperwork or order a Marti report.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

As has already been stated, the J code 302 itself was a common engine.

The only way yours could be called a “1968 Shelby GT350” engine is if it actually came out of a GT350 and the VIN stamped in the block matched the Shelby’s.

In that case, if that Shelby is still around and missing it’s original engine, which you now have - then your engine would have some extra value. How much would depend on how bad the present owner wants the original engine.

Here is a link to a fantastic website dedicated to 1968 Shelby Mustangs.

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/GT350b

• Phillip

Was 68 the last year Ford stamped the VIN on engine blocks?

No, it was the first.

Thanks Royce,
So using my D0AE-J 351c block as an example, the casting date above starter was Oct 7, 69. Date stamp under oil pan gasket was Oct 9 which was same date as on engine tag and I believe this was date of machining. Date stamp under timing cover was Nov 21 which I believe was date of engine assembly. Where is the VIN block stamp located? Same location for 68 302?

It should be. It would be at the rear of the block, on top just behind the intake.

It finally warmed up enough in the garage to take a closer look for my engine block VIN stamp. I’m fairly certain this is the original late 69 351c, but I sure do not see a VIN stamp. The engine was recently rebuilt so it’s clean enough to see a stamp if it were there. I looked all around the oil pressure sensor area and also just under the backside of both heads. Is there another location they sometimes stamped the block?

The 351C never came in any 1969 model year cars so something is screwy already. There is no such thing so there won’t be a VIN stamp, at least not one that matches any 1969 model year car.

Sorry Royce, I meant late 69 for engine only. The car is a numbers matching 1970 model year survivor with Dec 8 1969 build date. D0AE-J block was cast and machined in Oct and assembled in Nov of 1969 and still had the original engine tag with matching date. I suspect the VIN is lightly stamped like the other engine stamps were and I am missing it. I got pictures of all the other block stamps, but didn’t know to look for VIN while the engine was out of the car.

My mistake here, I thought I was responding for the VIN stamp on a 302, For a 351C it is on the back on the drivers side just below the head.

This is the 351C for my 71 XR-7, the VIN is stamped in the area in side the White outlined box. That is also the location it can be found on a 351W and most FE big blocks(390, 428 ect).

My bad for taking us off the original subject. Thanks Neal, I bet it’s there. The kickdown rod was limiting my view with the inspection mirror on drivers side.

I turn the flash on and stick my phone down there. Snap a picture and it will be easy to see.

Well, no it’s not there. My 70 block doesn’t even have the flat spot there like your 71 block does. Mine just has the rough cast surface curving upward from bell housing to head on both sides.

Ok, I finally found my engine block VIN stamp. I had to remove the kick down rod and transmission vacuum line to get my phone camera down there and get a good view. Even then, I had to clean off the paint to reveal all of the numbers, but it’s all there stamped right onto the rough casting surface below the drivers side head. Neal’s picture was very helpful. Appreciate the help, guys!