1968 XR7G For Sale

1968 Mercury Cougar XR7-G
This is a once in a lifetime chance to buy a very rare and highly sought after 1968 Cougar XR7-G in the drop dead gorgeous color combination of Black Cherry with an Ivory vinyl top and Parchment leather interior. This unique Cougar is one of 619 Shelby G’s produced in 1968. This XR7-G is a well optioned car with the iconic factory power sunroof, Air Conditioning, Power Disc Brakes, Power Steering and an AM/FM Stereo.

This Cougar is equipped with a 390 4V engine, C6 transmission, and all the XR7-G specific parts including unique center console, wood shifter handle, front fog lamps, hood pins, hood scoop, bullet drivers side rearview mirror, pipe-in-pipe exhaust and trim rings, 3rd horn, and XR7-G “C” pillar, grill and dash emblems are intact.

The Cougar was ordered through the Los Angeles District Sales Office and sold in Phoenix where the car has remained since 1968. It wears the remnants of its factory paint but the car has been stored outside for a number of years and the paint has been baked off most of the exterior surfaces leaving the metal exposed to the environment. Luckily the car was in Arizona so while there is surface rust, there is no rust through like you would find in most other areas of the country.

As you would expect, the vinyl top is completely gone but the moldings are intact. The car is complete but all the chrome, anodized aluminum and stainless trim will need to be restored. The interior is also complete but it, too, will need to be completely restored after years of exposure to the Arizona sun. The styled steel wheels will need to be repainted but are in good condition and have the original XR7-G center caps and trim rings. The whitewall tires are brand new.

The 390 hasn’t been started in years but it does turn over easily and has not been opened up. Everything from carb to oil pan is in place. The original air cleaner assembly is missing but the smog system is intact as are the original running cat valve covers. You may choose to rebuild the engine but it may start after taking some precautions with the fuel system and the oiling system.

The brakes work as far as I can tell without actually driving it. The steering box has locked up. I have another good one which I may have installed by the time the car sells but if not, it will be included in the sale. The suspension, transmission, driveshaft and 2.75:1 conventional rear axle are all in place and appear to work as they should.

Overall, this is a very striking color combination that is rarely seen, particularly on an XR7-G. Once completed, this car will be one that will draw crowds wherever it goes. Included with the car is the original sunroof operating instruction pamphlet, the original owner’s manual and 1968 warranty document, a copy of the Marti Report its pedigree and an old personalized Arizona license plate with the letters “XR 7 G”.

Asking $18,750 OBO and I am a motivated seller. The first reasonable offer will take the car. Please call or text Lonnie Sparhawk at (253) 720-9105 or email mycjragtop@yahoo.com for more information. If delivery is an issue, I will consider delivering within a reasonable distance from Phoenix for a negotiable fee.
image6.jpeg
image1.PNG
image2.PNG

More pictures

More pictures

Another one

i knew this would happen. very cool cars in my back yard for sale right when i decide to move to a place where i would have room for them. no money for a while :frowning:

Jeff, do you know this car?

Hi Kim, Yes I do although I haven’t seen it in person, I was involved in the discussions prior to purchase and have seen many detailed photos. It’s owned by a good friend of mine.

Looks like a nice solid project. Does he have the Marti report for the G?

Kind of surprised at the low asking price… It makes the xr7G WCCC plans to give away appear to have negative value! Lonnie should open the doors and use his leaf blower to remove the interior so we can see those beautiful floor pans from the top side.

Wow, great write up Jeff! I’m taking notes, as I’ve been asked to help market a few Eliminators recently. I will strive to meet the bar that you have set :slight_smile:

This car has been sold. Please see other post by Don Rush if you’re still interested.

Thanks, Mike. This one isn’t that great but the key to a good ad is to go through each area of the car and describe it honestly. Good, bad or otherwise. Price it fairly and typically the first call you get, the car will be sold. If you’ve told the entire story, there is no need for people to call you and ask the same questions over and over. With a thorough ad, when they call they are usually sincerely interested in making a deal.

This looks to be an amazing XR7-G. I hope the new owner comes forward and will share photos as it is brought back to life.

Thank you Jeff for sharing all of the photos.

Robert Cecil bought it minutes after he got our email blast. He says it is his all time dream Cougar in the best possible color combo. It took us all of 30 seconds to strike a deal and then he immediately jumped in his car and drove from Vancouver Wa. to pay for the car in full. Robert can be seen in many of our recent WCCC open house pics with his 68 Gold GT. He has owned and refurbished several Cougars over the years and is one of our most valued customers.

Excellent…Cecil got a good one. This is one I would consider a perfect project Cougar that checks all the boxes. rare x, desirable x, color combo x , original drivetrain x, rust free x, few missing part x. if I had the room and no other projects in front of it I would have been on this one. Especially once you added this photo.

Congratulations on the sale and purchase of the XR7G Don and Jeff. I know you have to strike when the iron is hot so well done.
Steven

PS: that photoshop looks good and that XR7G looks familiar. :smiley:

I was wondering if you would catch that… We left the interior red and tried to photo-shop your top white. The buyer knew he would have to act fast and good thing he did as the others waited until they got home from work and discussed it with their spouse first.

Has anyone seen progress on this car? I’m sure it will look stunning when it’s completed.

I was thinking about this G when the other two were recently up for sale. Hopefully it’s coming along.
Steven

Went to Springfield, OR for some Friday night football, youngest daughter is a cheerleader this year. Now I’d like to think the most exciting thing that could happen is North Eugene winning their first game but meeting a fellow “G” owner and talking Cougar sure made my night. It was good meeting you Robert.